You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-06 04:02:59

zetskee

[SOLVED] Problem transferring large amounts of data to ntfs drive

I have about 150GB of files that I am trying to transfer from my home partition which is ext3 /dev/sdd2 to another partition which is ntfs mounted with ntfs-3g /dev/sde1 (both drives are internal sata). The files are sizes ranging from 200MB to 4GB. When the files start to move they transfer at a reasonable speed (10 to 60MB/s), but will randomly (usually after about 1 to 5GB transfered) slow down to about 500KB/s transfer speed. The computer becomes unusable at this point, and even if I cancel the transfer the computer will continue to be unusable (I must use alt+sysreq REISUB). I have tried transferring with dolphin, nautilus, and the mv command but they all will produce the same results. I have also tried this in dolphin as root with no change. If I leave dolphin running long enough I also get the message "the process for the file protocol died unexpectedly".

There is nothing that I can tell is wrong with the drives, I've run disk checks on both, and checked the S.M.A.R.T. readings for both disks and everything was fine.

My hardware is an intel X58 motherboard, core i7 processor, 6GB of RAM, 5 internal sata drives and 1 internal sata optical drive.

Another thing to note is that every once in a while I will get an error message at boot saying "Disabling IRQ #19".

This is driving me crazy as I have no idea why this is happening and when I search I can't find any solutions that work.

If anybody knows how to solve this or can help me diagnose the problem please help.

Thank you.

Last edited by zetskee (2011-01-07 21:29:58)

#2 2011-01-07 15:23:20

Kosmonavt

Re: [SOLVED] Problem transferring large amounts of data to ntfs drive

Have you checked this in other OS - MS Windows, *BSD or whatever you have? If Arch is the only system, try moving from a LiveCD/LiveUSB, like Knoppix, Slax or SystemRescueCD. Does it change anything?

Also post contents of your /var/log/everything.log and output of "ps aux" and "free" before moving via pastebin.

#3 2011-01-07 15:42:29

Primoz

Do you use KDE (Dolphin) 4.6 RC or 4.5?
Also I've noticed that if i move / copy things with Dolphin they're substantially slower than if I use cp/mv. But cp/mv works fine for me...
Also run Dolphin from terminal to try and see what's the problem.
Hope that help at least a bit.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#4 2011-01-07 21:29:17

zetskee

Okay, transfers worked fine in other OSes, and dolphin didn't output any error messages.

I tried updating my BIOs in case that was the problem and it didn't help. So I finally unplugged every drive and plugged in the two I'm transferring between, reinstalled grub, and now everything works fine with just those two drives. I think one or two of my sata cables may have had a bad connection? Oh well, the files are transfered.

Thank you for your help, I guess it turns out it wasn't a problem with software.

#5 2011-01-07 22:16:49

xephinx

Primoz wrote:

Do you use KDE (Dolphin) 4.6 RC or 4.5?
Also I've noticed that if i move / copy things with Dolphin they're substantially slower than if I use cp/mv. But cp/mv works fine for me...
Also run Dolphin from terminal to try and see what's the problem.
Hope that help at least a bit.

Could you explain why Dolphin should be slower? I'm not attacking you, I'm just asking.
Cause I thought that Dolphin is just a „little" wrapper around the cp/mv/cd/ls applications/commands.

A simple, lightweight distribution - Why the hell 'simple' ? It doesn't sound geekish -.-"

#6 2011-01-07 22:48:15

tavianator
Website

xephinx wrote:

Could you explain why Dolphin should be slower? I'm not attacking you, I'm just asking.
Cause I thought that Dolphin is just a „little" wrapper around the cp/mv/cd/ls applications/commands.

The actual copying should not be much slower with Dolphin (if it is, report a bug), but I believe Dolphin actually waits for the write cache to flush after move/copy operations.  This is noticeable when you copy to a flash drive, for example.

Board footer