You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-28 14:03:01

dp
Website

kernel configuration ... a suggestion

first the short version:

-> is the "kernel"-pkg configured specially for arch, or is it left as is from kernel.org and just compiled?

(i suppose, it is, because as i remember, devfs is not the default in the kernel.org-kernel)

-> is there a way to change some settings to be default "M" instead of "Y"(for the future releases of the kernel-pkg)? in some cases this is more usefull

-----------------------------------------------------

the long version:

i have a ATI Firegl 7800, that is not supported by the native radeon-driver from the 2.4.x kernel (because the radeon-driver in the kernel is really old) ...

if i want to have hardware-3d-acceleration, i need a kernel with radeon compiled as module, and not into the kernel ... because there is no patch i can add in the PKGBUILD from the kernel ... the dri-project has only a "Binary Driver Package" for updating the kernel-modules (there is no way to update a part of the compiled-in code ... logical) (http://dri.sourceforge.net/ -> Downloads)

so if i want to upgrade the radeon.o to a usefull one, i have to use a self-compiled kernel ... not a big thing, but this makes the "kernel"-package from arch useless for me

=> it would be a lot easier for all radeon (and maybe other driver) users to update the DRI-kernel-module to the newest, if it is set to "M" instead of "Y" in the default kernel

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-08-28 15:03:35

sarah31
Website

Re: kernel configuration ... a suggestion

i think it would also be nice to have agpart compiled in in module form instead of built in. this allows nvidia user to make use of the nvidia agp features of their driver.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-08-28 17:09:37

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i think it would also be nice to have agpart compiled in in module form instead of built in. this allows nvidia user to make use of the nvidia agp features of their driver.

yes, the best way (for me :-) ) would be to have all DRI related drivers as modules and not build-in ... this would make the life much easier (but with archlinux, this is not a big problem, since the abs alows you to do it for yourself ... the only problem is that this is not the "pacman -Suy"-way upgrading the kernel)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2003-08-28 17:51:54

contrasutra

What differences would it make using the Nvidia AGP instead of the built in one? Ive never heard about this before.

Im running the official Nvidia drivers with the stock 2.4.22 kernel, and my performance in UT2003 is great.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2003-08-28 19:50:22

sarah31
Website

contrasutra wrote:

What differences would it make using the Nvidia AGP instead of the built in one? Ive never heard about this before.

Im running the official Nvidia drivers with the stock 2.4.22 kernel, and my performance in UT2003 is great.

apparently a slightly better card performance. however, since i only run a stock kernel myself i have yet to actually use it.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2003-08-28 20:17:55

contrasutra

So how would I enable Nvidia's AGP functions? Would just making agpart a module do it?

I could always use more frames in UT2003.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#7 2003-08-28 20:22:05

sarah31
Website

well unless you are below 150 frames any more won't do much.

but compile it in as a agpart as a module then add an init line to your xconfig file (which i don't remember offhand but i have at home). as long as agpart is a module and you have the init line the vidia agp will take effect.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-08-28 22:17:30

red_over_blue

In XF86Config, where you load the nvidia module, use one of the following:

Option "NvAgp" "0" ... disables AGP support
Option "NvAgp" "1" ... use NVAGP, if possible
Option "NvAgp" "2" ... use AGPGART, if possible
Option "NvAGP" "3" ... try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP

The default is 3 (the default was 1 until after 1.0-1251).  Then, you can

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

To ensure that what you want to happen is in fact happening smile

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#9 2003-08-28 22:38:19

contrasutra

I get this when doing /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver:          AGPGART (inactive)
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

So that would mean im NOT getting the better driver?

Well, the Kernel source is 30MB and im on dialup, so please build agp as a module next time, because I dont feel like having to download all that. tongue

#10 2003-08-29 00:09:40

jlvsimoes
Website

# /etc/modules.conf
#

# End of file
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 NVreg_EnableVia4x=1 NVreg_ReqAGPRate=7 NVreg_UpdateKernelAGP=1

these are my nvidia related files changed some stuff on the registry.o them compiled the driver
cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Enabled
SBA:             Disabled
got this this is the only wat for me to get the agp 4x enabled ...
unreall 2003 hum is it nice did not buy that one got the unreall tournamente gotty but dont realy play it anymore

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Board footer