You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-07 10:24:13

jocom

Dmenu breaks WM

Hi all,

I used openbox for some months, and yesterday I installed Xmonad. In Openbox I launched everything from terminal, which is obviously possible in Xmonad too.
But now I read about Dmenu, which sounds quite nice. Besides that, it was installed with Xmonad as dependency. But when I hit <mod-p> in Xmonad, it crashed. Restarting Xmonad failed with following error:

$ tail -n6 tmp/xmonad.log 
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
/home/jocom/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down error setting MTRR (base = 0xc0000000, size = 0x04000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

So I tried running Dmenu in Openbox, from a keybinding configured in rc.xml, which consequently broke down Openbox. Restarting Openbox failed with the error that there would be a clash of keybindings in the config, which surely did not change; besides that it could not load the Arch theme.

This made me reboot my box, upon which the error were gone. Running "dmenu_run" from a terminal breaks my Openbox, but not in such a manner that it will not restart. It just burns down the X server, which I can gracefully restart and have Openbox up and running again smile.

But, howcome this strange behaviour? Any ideas, of how to fix this nasty Dmenu would be very welcome!

jocom

#2 2011-01-08 12:59:59

valium97582

Re: Dmenu breaks WM

Hmm, my dmenu works fine. Try downloading the source from the Suckless website and see if the bug happens too with the compiled version.

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#3 2011-01-08 16:24:57

Rasi
Website

jocom wrote:

Hi all,

I used openbox for some months, and yesterday I installed Xmonad. In Openbox I launched everything from terminal, which is obviously possible in Xmonad too.
But now I read about Dmenu, which sounds quite nice. Besides that, it was installed with Xmonad as dependency. But when I hit <mod-p> in Xmonad, it crashed. Restarting Xmonad failed with following error:

$ tail -n6 tmp/xmonad.log 
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
/home/jocom/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down error setting MTRR (base = 0xc0000000, size = 0x04000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

So I tried running Dmenu in Openbox, from a keybinding configured in rc.xml, which consequently broke down Openbox. Restarting Openbox failed with the error that there would be a clash of keybindings in the config, which surely did not change; besides that it could not load the Arch theme.

This made me reboot my box, upon which the error were gone. Running "dmenu_run" from a terminal breaks my Openbox, but not in such a manner that it will not restart. It just burns down the X server, which I can gracefully restart and have Openbox up and running again smile.

But, howcome this strange behaviour? Any ideas, of how to fix this nasty Dmenu would be very welcome!

jocom

you need to compile your xmonad binary, because you changed the config. xomonad --recompile. if this doesnt work, you probably used a wrong syntax in the config file.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2011-01-08 18:55:45

jocom

Rasi wrote:

you need to compile your xmonad binary, because you changed the config. xomonad --recompile. if this doesnt work, you probably used a wrong syntax in the config file.

I do not see how this explains that Openbox breaks too. For xmonad I use the default config which comes with the pacman install. I have not touched a config file yet. But in the guided tour for xmonad it says that <Mod+p> is a keybinding for dmenu by default. When I hit <Mod+p> xmonad broke.

When I tried a similar thing in Openbox, it broke too. So I think something is wrong with my dmenu rather than with xmonad.

valium97582 wrote:

Hmm, my dmenu works fine. Try downloading the source from the Suckless website and see if the bug happens too with the compiled version.

I will try that when I have time on my schedule smile

Thanks for these replies!

jocom

Board footer