You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-07 12:39:20

nonoitall

[Solved] System won't wake up from a USB remote

I just started running Arch on our media center PC a week or two ago, and everything is running perfectly aside from it's inability to wake up from standby when the power button on the USB remote is pressed.  Previously I had Ubuntu (Lucid) installed on this machine, and as long as I enabled waking up on the USB device (echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup) it would work fine.  I've done that with Arch, but waking up via the remote does not work.  What can I try to get this working right?  (If it helps, this is a ASRock ion 330 (specs here) with a Hauppauge USB MCE remote (see here), and I'm running up-to-date x86_64 Arch on it.)  Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  And before anyone asks, the batteries in the remote are good. big_smile

Last edited by nonoitall (2011-01-09 02:37:58)

#2 2011-01-08 22:23:40

nonoitall

Re: [Solved] System won't wake up from a USB remote

Well I did some digging and managed to find a solution to my problem.  I couldn't find the correct file to echo 'enabled' to manually, but like in that post, I created a udev rule using the device's vendor/product IDs (retrieved via lsusb) and after a reboot, the device wakeup file (whose location I'm still blissfully unaware of) gets set up automagically.  Once that was done, I was able to resume from standby using the remote.

Just to reiterate the procedure for those who can't be bothered to click a link:

First, list the USB devices on your system:

$ lsusb

Each listed USB device will have a four-hex-digit vendor ID and a four-hex-digit product ID, in that order, separated by a colon.  Find the device on the list that you need to enable waking from and note its vendor ID and product ID.  Then create a new udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/ (mine was named 90-usbremote.rules) with the following contents (insert your own IDs at the XXXX's):

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="XXXX", ATTRS{idProduct}=="XXXX" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"

Then reboot.  (At least, I assume one would have to reboot for this rule to take effect; I didn't bother checking otherwise.)  I kept the echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup command in my /etc/rc.local file, though I'm not sure if that's necessary anymore with the udev rule in place.  (Will experiment with that tomorrow.)  I also imagine that one could omit the two ATTRS from the above rule to enable waking on all USB devices, though this may not be a desirable thing for some people.  (And I might be wrong since udev rules and their syntax are not something I'm all that familiar with.)  Anyway, hopefully this may be of assistance if someone else is having trouble.

Board footer