You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-08 17:52:56

justo

Gnome Shell

I want to basically wipe my system clean except for sudo, base and clyde and then install Gnome Shell via AUR/clyde.

Is there an easy way to just uninstall everything? I am currently running Gnome 2.

Also, should I install gnome-shell or gnome-shell-git from AUR?

Thanks!

#2 2011-01-08 20:10:28

clutch

Re: Gnome Shell

I could be wrong but I think the easiest way to get back to a base system with nothing but sudo and clyde would be to reinstall (just don't reformat your /home partition).  Not really sure what you're trying to do, but I'm guessing what you're actually saying is that you want to uninstall everything except for sudo, base, clyde, Xorg, and Gnome (otherwise what would you want a terminal emulator for)?

pacman -Q should be a good place to start

#3 2011-01-08 21:16:33

loafer

Couldn't you just create a new user to work with the new gnome-shell environment?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#4 2011-01-08 21:20:42

justo

I actually don't even want Gnome because I heard it doesn't play nice with Gnome Shell. Do I need to be in text mode when I uninstall Gnome?

To uninstall Gnome and dependencies I would run # pacman -Rs gnome, correct?

Thanks!

#5 2011-01-08 21:35:11

alexcriss

justo wrote:

I actually don't even want Gnome because I heard it doesn't play nice with Gnome Shell.
Thanks!

This is not the case. Gnome Shell is built upon GNOME technologies and it requires them to be successfully built. In fact, you will need GNOME packets if you try to build it, and many will have to be compiled from their git master trees (you can see the long array of deps that gnome-shell-git has in AUR, the same for gnome-shell). You should simply try to go ahead and build gnome-shell without removing any gnome package. I don't know whether to recommend the 2.91.4 or the git version as I am using Jhbuild as suggested by upstream devs.

What you have probably heard is that the old GNOME desktop experience, which basically means the gnome panel and gnome-panel-applets, will be "deprecated" and no longer actively developed (at least that seems to be the direction taken in the last days). However, this has nothing to do with Gnome Shell conflicting with GNOME packages.

If I am mistaken please correct me smile

Cheers,
Alessandro

#6 2011-01-08 21:42:42

justo

I started following these instructions http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#building and I get an error when I run jhbuild build

[justin@Justin ~]$ jhbuild build
bash: jhbuild: command not found

Do I need something else installed?

#7 2011-01-08 21:51:13

alexcriss

justo wrote:

I started following these instructions http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#building and I get an error when I run jhbuild build

bash: jhbuild: command not found

Do I need something else installed?

No, you're fine smile You should only add your bin directory to your PATH, try with

export PATH=$PATH:/home/YOUR USER NAME/bin/

and then run

$ jhbuild build

If the build process fails somewhere you probably need some more dependency. If I am not mistaken something like

pacman -S gtk-doc intltool xulrunner libpulse

should give you all you need. However I am not sure since I've installed those some time ago. Anyone else who uses Jhbuild and knows the exact depends?

#8 2011-01-08 21:57:50

justo

I'm getting another error this time:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/justin/bin/jhbuild", line 5, in <module>
    import __builtin__
ImportError: No module named __builtin__

I changed the path and installed dependencies

#9 2011-01-08 22:09:26

alexcriss

Ah, bad luck, I forgot that Jhbuild uses python2, while your /usr/bin/python points to python3. It is up to you to decide how to deal with this, a forum search will give you hints.

In my case no packages depend on python3, which is not installed. Hence I have linked /usr/bin/python to python2. However I do not feel that this is the recommended way to do it. If you feel like linking /usr/local/python to python2 use:

cd /usr/bin
rm python
ln -s /usr/bin/python2 python

Again do this ONLY IF YOU think it is safe since it may BREAK things and eat your granny. A forum search will probably give better ways.

#10 2011-01-09 01:15:31

justo

Gnome Shell reportedly compiled correctly but when I run ./gnome-shell --replace I get

[justin@Justin src]$ ./gnome-shell --replace
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomesegvhandler": libgnomesegvhandler.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mutter: symbol lookup error: /home/justin/gnome-shell/install/lib64/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
[justin@Justin src]$ Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

Am I missing a dependency?

#11 2011-01-09 09:34:29

alexcriss

justo wrote:

Gnome Shell reportedly compiled correctly but when I run ./gnome-shell --replace I get

[justin@Justin src]$ ./gnome-shell --replace
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomesegvhandler": libgnomesegvhandler.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mutter: symbol lookup error: /home/justin/gnome-shell/install/lib64/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: undefined symbol: gtk_quit_add
[justin@Justin src]$ Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

Am I missing a dependency?

I do not know what to do about your first Gtk-Message. It doesn't happen to me (at least I'm not aware of it) and Google doesn't help.

For your second error (see e.g. http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-sh … 00059.html):

rm ~/gnome-shell/install/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so

You might have a look at the Gnome Shell mailing list (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/) when you are in trouble, sometime workarounds are provided there.

Last edited by alexcriss (2011-01-09 09:52:59)

Board footer