You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-09 04:41:51

clutch

anyone out there using xdmx?

I have been trying to get it working for a little while now, and so far all I've got is all of my screens blacking out and giving me the x shaped cursor.  It feels like the cursor is going over to the client machines monitor, but I can't actually see it.  Nothing responds after this - I had to hard reboot to recover from it.

I installed xorg-server-xdmx from the repos and was just following the examples on the manpage.  I understand at one point Xorg needed to be compiled with the --enable-dmx flag, but when I copied it over from the abs, that flag is already in the PKGBUILD so I'm assuming dmx is enabled by default in Xorg now?

There's very, very little documentation on this that isn't really old -tbh I'm starting to wonder if anyone has used it in the last few years at all big_smile

Anyway, if anyone is using this, please let me know how you have it set up so I have something to go off of other than 5 year old ubuntu forum threads

#2 2011-06-22 20:24:28

Corubba

Re: anyone out there using xdmx?

*push*

I'm also trying to get Xdmx to work (standard Desktop-Laptop scenario). I tried with the IBM tutorial, but it doesn't work even a bit. Laptop is running an Xsession with xfce4 runlevel3 with `xhost + DesktopIP` and xorg.conf for the Laptopscreen. On Desktop i'm also running an init3 XFCE4-Session and tried to start the server with `Xdmx :1 -display DesktopIP:0 -display LaptopIP:0 -ignorebadfontpaths -input DesktopIP:0 +xinerama` what ends up with an "(Fatal Error) dmx: dmxOpenDisplay: Unable to open display DesktopIP:0"

Anyone can give some support here?

Greetz Corubba

#3 2011-06-26 23:48:38

Corubba

*push* :<

#4 2011-06-27 03:07:58

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator Note: Please don't Bump.  It may be that no one here is able to support this.
I assume you have interest in this topic and must have gained some insight since your previous post.  If you include some of these observations or add some interesting facts, you will avoid the ire of the moderators, and may stimulate someones interest in the topic.

Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-07-05 23:50:49

Corubba

After some research and reading about Xservers, i solved some of my Problems. Slim passes by default the `-nolisten tcp`-Argument to the Xserver, that's why i don't get any Connection to a display, cause no Xserver listening on tcp. Solved. So far.

To run the Xdmx on my Control i'm using a little Script thats looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
startx `which slim` -- /usr/bin/Xdmx :1 -display :0 -display 192.168.78.208:0 -ignorebadfontpaths +xinerama

Im running it on Runlevel 5 when logged in into my Xfce4-Session. The Output can be found here.
Short Explanation: The first 3 Lines are caused by disabling the ipv6 alias in modprobe. The last 3 Lines comes from the `kill -9` (i found no other way to shutdown Xdmx :x ). My Desktopscreen is 1920*1080, Laptop 1376*768 on ip 192.168.78.208, both with 24bit depth. But im not sure why Xdmx output the hole Color-thing there. Any Problem with it?

To me, the Xdmx seems to run without errors. But how to "use" it.
I still see the one with Xfce4 and cant move my mouse over the edges of my monitor to the other Screen. Running Wireshark in background i can see that they communicate, but not very much, about 4-6 packages per minute.

Any Suggestions?

Greetz Corubba

EDIT: i just recognized that it doesn't matter what Displaynumber i give for my Laptop, even with a :5 he dont give me any error. So it seems these Color-things are an error preventing Xdmx from working.

Last edited by Corubba (2011-07-06 09:48:47)

#6 2011-07-07 09:31:21

Corubba

I finally get Xdmx with xinerama working on both Displays, my firewall was blocking incoming on port 6000 >_< *yay* Xdmx vs me, 1:1

But only with xterm. I used Runlevel 4 for automatic setting up :0 with an xterm on both Machines, and starting the Xdmx on Controlnode. When i try do start an Xfce4-Session with `xfwm4`, i only get a black Screen without Keyboardinput, need to reset. When running my ~/.xinitrc with startx, he loads my Desktop and my Startup Applications, but no Panels and my Ctrl-Keys don't work, and some other Stuff also dont work. Using `startxfce4 --replace` like said in the Output on tty1 neither fixing this.

And anyone knows a possibility to add Screens "ondemand"? i dont want my Laptop always to be used, i just want to add it if i need it without to restart X. `dmxaddscreen` only seems to exchange Displays.

So far, greetz.

Last edited by Corubba (2011-07-07 09:32:11)

Board footer