You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 05:23:50

stillinbeta

Disabling Thinkpad Touchpad on Resume

Hello all,
I have a ThinkPad Laptop, and I use the little red nubbin exclusively. I don't like to have the touchpad enabled because I constantly brush it with my wrist, but I don't like disabling it in the BIOS because I semi-regularly have other people using my computer.

I keep it disabled with

xinput --set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Enabled" 0

I have it in my .xinitrc, and when I first boot up its properly disabled. However, when I suspend and resume, the touchpad is enabled again. I tried to use a pm hook in /etc/pm/sleep.d but the script doesn't seem to be able to connect to my X server.

Is there some setting I can tweek or hook I can run that'll keep my touchpad disabled on resume?

#2 2011-01-10 10:04:39

ccc1

Re: Disabling Thinkpad Touchpad on Resume

stillinbeta wrote:

I tried to use a pm hook in /etc/pm/sleep.d but the script doesn't seem to be able to connect to my X server.

set the display variable in your script, i.e.

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

maybe it's also necessary to run xinput with your username, i.e.

su -c - $YOUR_USERNAME "xinput ...."

ccc1

#3 2011-01-10 21:58:39

rwd

Not really an anwer, but If your touchpad supports it you can use the 'PalmDetect' option to ignore hitting it with your palm, and also syndaemon to disable the touchpad  while typing.

Last edited by rwd (2011-01-10 22:01:12)

#4 2011-01-11 03:31:59

stillinbeta

ccc1 wrote:

set the display variable in your script, i.e.

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

Ah, there it is. I figured there was some variable like that, but it wasn't mentioned in the xinput man pages. I suppose it's assumed you should know that already. Thanks!

Board footer