You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 15:23:36

jlacroix

[Solved] Problems with Kmail (Apparently This is an Upstream Issue)

Hello everyone. I've been a Thunderbird user for a long time, but Thunderbird 3 is not so great in my opinion, so I migrated to Kmail/Kontact. I do like Kmail better, but I have a problem with it, that may be related to settings? Basically I have an email address hosted with Godaddy, and I use IMAP (I connect through several computers and my phone).

Kmail has two problems.

1.) If I put my laptop to sleep and then wake it up again while Kmail is running, I can forget about Kmail picking up any new messages. I must close Kmail and open it again. There are no errors, it just continually tells me that there are no new messages, even though if I were to log in to webmail, there would be in fact new messages.

2.) Similarly, after about an hour or so of Kmail running straight (without putting my laptop to sleep) Kmail will tell me that it lost connection to the server, and from that point on, I must restart Kmail to continue getting messages. If I don't, Kmail will report that there are no new messages when I check, even if there are.

It appears that both problems may be the same problem but I'm not sure. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere to tell it to attempt to connect again if the connection is lost? I can't find such an option but thought I would check here to see if you guys know of one.

I've been having these issues for about a year, I switched back to Thunderbird for several months but am trying Kmail again because I do actually like it better. Thunderbird doesn't have issues like this, but has others (that's another story).

Last edited by jlacroix (2011-01-10 21:12:40)

#2 2011-01-10 17:05:17

Damnshock

Re: [Solved] Problems with Kmail (Apparently This is an Upstream Issue)

It's a known bug.

The quickest way to "fix" it is to kill the kio_imap processes.

Sorry I can't provide a better solution

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#3 2011-01-10 21:12:08

jlacroix

Re: [Solved] Problems with Kmail (Apparently This is an Upstream Issue)

Thanks, marking solved since it appears that this is just how Kmail is right now.

Board footer