You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-11 20:53:12

ender4

spell check crashes libreoffice

Hi, I recently switched over to Arch from Kubuntu, because, essentially, I liked the Arch Philosophy.

Anyway, I installed Libreoffice, and for the most part it has worked fine, except that I couldn't get my old OOo macros to work, and the "record macro" button is grayed out.  Although a solution to that would be nice, for the moment it is only a minor inconvenience.

My bigger problem is that just this week, invoking the spell checker always crashes Libreoffice.  I thought that it might be an extension I tried, so I uninstalled all extensions, but that didn't solve the problem.  If I uninstall libreoffice-dictionaries, then spell check no longer crashes libreoffice, but it doesn't do anything else either.  Similarily if I uncheck hunspell in the language options, no more crashes, and no more spell check period.  Installing the english hunspell package didn't solve anything either.  (I should probably mention that my locale is en-US).  What really confuses me, is that when I spell a word wrong, it is underlined with the red squiggly stuff, but when I right click on the word, or select spell check from the menu, or toolbar, Libreoffice crashes. 

I've run out of things to try, and I don't really know what is causing the problem at all. If anyone knows how I can solve my problem, or even just get some more diagnostic information, I would be greatly appreciative.  I would post a bug report, except I am not sure if it is an upstream bug or a package bug, or if I messed something up somehow.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2011-01-13 05:06:15

goodgrue

Re: spell check crashes libreoffice

Same behavior here.  I found that if I downgrade hunspell to version 1.2.12 the problem goes away.  I'd like to file a bug report, but I have no idea if this is a bug in hunspell, libreoffice, or an Arch packaging issue.

#3 2011-01-13 16:17:28

jpbretired

I also had the problem and it was solved by downgrading hunspell.  Thanks for the suggestion, "goodgrue."

Hunspell 1.2.12 is in ABS.  For those who are not familiar with ABS, it is an important tool to learn.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

#4 2011-01-13 16:26:23

AndyRTR
Developer

libreoffice-dictionaries is deprecated. you should install {hunspell,mythes,hyphen}-foo for your language.

#5 2011-01-13 16:56:16

goodgrue

jpbretired: Good point about the ABS.  In this case, though, many people probably have the old package cached in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.

AndyRTR: Thanks for the tips.  If I may ask, where could I have found this information if you hadn't posted it here?

#6 2011-01-14 02:39:52

ender4

removing libreoffice-dictionaries, and installing the appropriate hunspell, mythes, and hyphen packages fixed it for me, thanks!

#7 2011-02-03 13:57:17

Tripsun

Hi I am having a different problem.  Spellcheck actually doesn't work at all with libreoffice for me.  Any ideas?  I have hunspell (1.2.15-1), mythes, hyphen installed (not libreoffice-dictionaries).

Last edited by Tripsun (2011-02-03 14:24:38)

#8 2011-02-03 14:04:57

wonder
Developer
Website

Tripsun wrote:

Hi I am having a different problem.  Spellcheck actually doesn't work at all with libreoffice for me.  Any ideas?  I don't have hunspell (1.2.15-1), mythes, hyphen installed (not libreoffice-dictionaries).

you need to install the dictionary for your language. hunspell-foo,mythes-foo,hyphen-foo, where foo is your language

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#9 2011-02-03 14:24:24

Tripsun

Perfect, solved it for me!

Board footer