You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-11 21:10:42

Decapsuleur

ALSA : Using two soundcards

Hi all,

I have two sound cards installed and I want to switch the sound output from one to the other. I am using asoundconf at the moment to switch the default sound card. It works, but apps have to be restarted for the change to take effect. Could anyone give me a few pointers to a solution that would let me switch the active sound card "seamlessly" ?
I'd like to create a virtual device that would redirect sounds to the appropriate sound card without restarting apps or even redirect the audio to both sound cards and mute one of them but I can't find the necessary documentation.

Thanks

#2 2011-01-11 23:03:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: ALSA : Using two soundcards

Alsa can't do that (key word seamlessly). Some apps may allow you to change alsa device on the fly (VLC afaik can), but swapping using asoundconf isn't supported. Use pulseaudio.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-01-11 23:19:00

Decapsuleur

Re: ALSA : Using two soundcards

Ah, that's a shame... Well thanks a lot !
I'll look into that smile

Board footer