You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-14 00:17:14

linux4life88

[Solved] OpenOffice.org Keeps Crashing

I've searched and searched and searched for solutions to this problem but have not been able to find a solution that works. Once I add the English spelling dictionary and thesaurus plug-in OpenOffice.org crashes every time I right click on a misspelled word. I'm not sure why but it happens every time and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and if so how did you fix the problem. Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit 1
I forgot to mention that I copied the file in question from a Windows machine which had OpenOffice.org installed on it (the same version that is in the Arch repositories) and then proceeded to use that extension that worked under Windows on the Arch install. In summery I have the same problem as with the extension already included. This leads me to believe that either the program did not install right or that the file in the repositories is not working properly some how. This is just more information, I wish I could offer more but OpenOffice.org does not give me any information of the crash. No crash number or anything at all, it just restores my document so it can live on to crash another day.

Edit 2
Here is some more information about my problem. I'm running XFCE (not sure if that matters or not) and I've noticed that OpenOffice does not always crash. It seems to only crash when I misspell a word where the first letter is capitalized or a word that I forgot to put an apostrophe in. Usually if the word is in the middle of a sentence there is no crash that follows. This is very strange behavior, very strange indeed because OpenOffice has never done anything like this before. It has always been a rock solid program for me and I can't find anyone that has had similar problems (the ones that do involve crashes with the spellchecker don't have solutions). Any help would be much appreciated, any suggestions at all I'm willing to try. I have to have OpenOffice available to use, basically it is one of the programs I can't live without.

Last edited by linux4life88 (2011-01-16 16:11:14)

#2 2011-01-15 21:14:50

caminoix
Website

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice.org Keeps Crashing

You can try to run OO from the console and make it crash. This way you might be able to get some more information on the error.

Does it only happen with this one file or with any file? If it's only this one, you can try ctrl-c ctrl-v it to a new one and see if the problem persists. Unless it's something confidential, you can send it to me and I'll see if it crashes on my computer, too.

#3 2011-01-15 21:45:44

linux4life88

caminoix wrote:

You can try to run OO from the console and make it crash. This way you might be able to get some more information on the error.

Does it only happen with this one file or with any file? If it's only this one, you can try ctrl-c ctrl-v it to a new one and see if the problem persists. Unless it's something confidential, you can send it to me and I'll see if it crashes on my computer, too.

I've been running into the problem when simply opening up a blank Writer session and then typing what I need. Once I notice a misspelled word and right click on it, it then crashes. It does not happen in a particular document, but it happens on any and all documents. Also, I ran it from the terminal (/usr/lib/openoffice/program/swriter) and after it crashed nothing came up on the terminal, no errors or anything. Is there a way to completely wipe OpenOffice off of my hard drive so I can download it again and then install it again? This is the next step that I think I should take but am not sure how to completely remove a program (wiping everything away) from my hard drive using pacman. Thank you for the help.

#4 2011-01-15 21:55:32

Archie_Enthusiasm

I also have the same problem here. It happens exactly when I try to do some spell checking (Spelling and Grammar F7) on my document. I will follow your post hoping that someone will show up and give a solution :-)

#5 2011-01-16 07:03:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Any reason you're not using libreoffice instead?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-01-16 08:12:39

caminoix
Website

I'm afraid I don't really know how to solve it, sorry. However, it seems that the problem might be with the dictionaries rather than with OO or Arch. I keep getting crashes with the French dictionary in the same situation, but nothing wrong happens with German or Polish dictionaries.

As a partial workaround, you might try installing this American dictionary. It seems to work OK for me.

#7 2011-01-16 08:46:33

AndyRTR
Developer

The stable openoffice-base package is not yet built to use our system hunspell,mythes,hyphen packages. It still needs the external or shipped in extensions.

Anyway LibreOffice is what you all should try out.

#8 2011-01-16 16:10:45

linux4life88

caminoix wrote:

I'm afraid I don't really know how to solve it, sorry. However, it seems that the problem might be with the dictionaries rather than with OO or Arch. I keep getting crashes with the French dictionary in the same situation, but nothing wrong happens with German or Polish dictionaries.

As a partial workaround, you might try installing this American dictionary. It seems to work OK for me.

That work for me as well. I just wonder why there is just a huge difference in file sizes between the one included by default and the one on the extension site. I also wonder why copying the extension from a computer that had it working fine also didn't work. I guess some things we will never know. Anyways thank you for the help and know I have a short term solution.

#9 2011-01-16 19:38:56

caminoix
Website

Heh, apparently size does matter wink I was worried about it too, that's why I wrote "partial workaround".

The fact that the extension worked on another computer, however, seems to point that it is Arch's or OO's fault after all, not the extension's. Well, I'm afraid I can't help with that, sorry.

#10 2011-01-16 22:18:13

linux4life88

caminoix wrote:

Heh, apparently size does matter wink I was worried about it too, that's why I wrote "partial workaround".

The fact that the extension worked on another computer, however, seems to point that it is Arch's or OO's fault after all, not the extension's. Well, I'm afraid I can't help with that, sorry.

I'm guessing what AndyRTR stated is the reason why there is so many problems. I know that some distributions, Debian an example, has a spellchecker that works out of the box with no plug-ins necessary. That is story for another day though, at least there is a fix to the problem and that is what matters in the end. Thanks again for the help.

Board footer