You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-15 23:35:59

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

Is there any encryption plugin that works with different IMs?

Hi all, just wondering... do you know if there is any encryption plugin that works with different Instant Messenger (IM) clients? E.g.: Pidgin, Emesene, Windows Live Messenger, etc.

There are specific plugins for each of those clients, but I'm looking for one plugin or "system" that works with anyone. Or maybe a way to encrypt the traffic with my private key just before it's sent, and the other person decrypts it in a similar way with my public key, and vice versa.

This is complicated when we're dealing with different clients and operating systems.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2011-01-15 23:53:28

fflarex

Re: Is there any encryption plugin that works with different IMs?

Nope. OTR works with pretty much every *protocol*, and a fair number of clients. It's your best bet, but if it doesn't work out for you then you're probably not going to have more luck with other encryption schemes.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

#3 2011-01-16 10:32:58

jelly
Administrator

one problem with OTR is that windows messenger doesn't have support for it, but still it's nice wink

#4 2011-01-16 16:10:28

Damnshock

ILoveJapaneseGirls wrote:

Or maybe a way to encrypt the traffic with my private key just before it's sent, and the other person decrypts it in a similar way with my public key, and vice versa.

You mean the other way around, right? wink

Regards

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

Board footer