You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 12:14:47

hnarwan123

Problem starting programs on Arch running xfce4 DE - fonts issue

Hi All,

I've recently installed Chromium and JDownloader but i'm unable to start either. Clicking on the application names via the menu results in nothing at all and when I try to run the programs via the command line I get errors regarding fonts.

[root@arch ~]# chromium
[4816:4816:2555967298:FATAL:gfx/platform_font_gtk.cc(296)] Check failed: typeface. Could not find any font: Helvetica, sans
Aborted

An excerpt from typing "jdownloader" from the shell:

Starting...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Probable fatal error:No fonts found.
    at sun.font.FontManager.getDefaultPhysicalFont(FontManager.java:1088)
    at sun.font.FontManager.initialiseDeferredFont(FontManager.java:960)
    at sun.font.FontManager.findOtherDeferredFont(FontManager.java:899)

I'm not sure which fonts I should be installing, I couldnt find 'Helvetica' via "pacman -Ss font" and for Jdownloader there so much that's thrown back i'm not sure what fonts that program even needs.

Is there perhaps a group of common fonts which can be installed for xfce4? If not what pacman/yaourt package install(s) would help me run these two programs at least?

Appreciate any direction I can get on this.

Hardeep

#2 2011-01-16 13:23:19

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Problem starting programs on Arch running xfce4 DE - fonts issue

JDownloader may require fonts that are shipped in SUNs jre but that are not included in openjdk6. You can try to use jre instead of openjdk6.

#3 2011-01-16 14:38:34

hnarwan123

Hi Andy,

I removed openjdk6 and installed jre via 'pacman -S jre' but now when i try to run jdownloader i get:

[root@arch ~]# jdownloader
JD Installation found: No valid JDownloader.jar exist!
Start JD-Updater
/usr/bin/jdownloader: line 55: java: command not found

The Arch JDownloader wiki mentions 'pacman -S openjdk6' before you run through the JDownloader installation.

I've started using Opera on Arch and it seems to be pretty much all I need so i'm no longer bothered about getting Chromium working, I havent been able to find any alternatives to JDownloader which also unzip and join files automatically, if there's an alternative on Linux i'd be happy to give that a try instead. If anyone has any ideas on that or my original issue of not being able to run JDownloader i'd appreciate the help.

thanks.
Hardeep

#4 2011-01-16 14:53:49

skunktrader

After installing jre you need to logout and login again.  To test that your java install is working, you could type

java -version

to confirm the path is correct

#5 2011-01-16 15:02:44

hnarwan123

Thanks guys, that was it.

Just needed to run:

pacman -S jre

log out and back in.

thanks again!

Board footer