You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 20:54:45

roelove

My partition table got messed up after reinstalling windows [SOLVED]

I dual booted Arch LInux (x86_64) and Windows 7 (x64) for a while now but I needed to reinstall Windows 7.

As I thought I'd get some grub issue's, either way Windows making a new bootloader. This happened as expected and I managed to get my old grub back.
Windows is still booting up, but I think the installation messed up my volume labels. when I fdisked my installation there's a different partition table as I had, sda7 and sda8 for example are switched. I can still mount every linux partition and browse them though. ( every file still is present)

When I try to boot up Arch through grub I get the error that no filesystem is specified or that there are more then 1 signature. This is because it's trying to boot from sda7 which has been changed to the swap memory. When change the grup boot options to the proper partition (sda8 and rootfstype) I get the error that it's unable to mount my home (that's on a different partition, so I guess that volume label has been changed as well).

I have no idea how to rename /dev/sda's or how to solve this problem. I hope somebody is able to help me out here sad

If you need any more information to give me an answer, I'm happy to provide it for you

Last edited by roelove (2011-01-16 22:02:56)

Windows xp -> windows 7 -> Ubuntu -> Debian -> Arch x64 (AwesomeWM) + Windows 7 x64

#2 2011-01-16 21:23:35

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: My partition table got messed up after reinstalling windows [SOLVED]

You can always mount the partitions by uuid, no more problems with name/location changes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ice_naming

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2011-01-16 21:57:18

roelove

Re: My partition table got messed up after reinstalling windows [SOLVED]

Thanks for your reply R00KIE I'm going to take a look at that for sure. In the meanwhile I got it working by creating a chrooted environment and editted my mstabs and fstabs so that the volume labels matches with what they are now.

I still got the different volume names now, but it works as before smile

edit: I just see somebody else who had a same problem. If I'd look for that topic in the first place it wouldn't took so much of my time. Ah well, I guess that's were newb's are for.

Last edited by roelove (2011-01-16 22:52:00)

Windows xp -> windows 7 -> Ubuntu -> Debian -> Arch x64 (AwesomeWM) + Windows 7 x64

Board footer