You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 22:51:49

rzepaczyk

Gnome-shell not storing user settings

Howdy

Yesterday I have compiled gnome-shell from git repositories and now I'm figting with some issues. Shell is not storing my configuration. I've done some customisation in settings like backlight level which is restored to it original level after logging out. And some of them aren't changed a bit. I've disabled screen energy saving in gpm but it did not worked, also tapping is not working. Also I got a question about theming. how can I add other window borders? I'm currently using default window border which is too big to my small netbook screen. Maybe it help: My default environment is KDE but before I installed gnome-shell I've installed gnome and gnome-extra packages to be sure that everything will work. Changing KDM to GDM is not solving my problem. I'm 100% sure that I'm owner of ~/gnome-shell and all files it contains.

Last edited by rzepaczyk (2011-01-16 22:52:06)

#2 2011-01-16 23:08:05

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Gnome-shell not storing user settings

1) maybe the packages that you have installed from aur are poorly packed (the glib schemas are not "compiled" )
any package that install files in /usr/share/glib-2.0/ needs to have in a .install file usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
2) dconf is missing.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-01-16 23:11:43

rzepaczyk

1) AUR packages had a lot of dependecies so I installed it using:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
2)

[mateusz@kalafior ~]$ pacman -Ss dconf
extra/dconf 0.5.1-1 [installed]
    A low-level configuration system.

also:

[mateusz@kalafior ~]$ dconf

** ERROR **: dconf.vala:96: unknown command
aborting...
Przerwane
[mateusz@kalafior ~]$ pacman -Ss vala
extra/vala 0.10.2-1 [installed]
    Compiler for the GObject type system

Last edited by rzepaczyk (2011-01-16 23:13:26)

#4 2011-01-16 23:14:39

wonder
Developer
Website

in the 2.91.5 releng, dconf 0.6 is specified.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2011-01-17 08:06:06

alexcriss

rzepaczyk wrote:

Howdy

Yesterday I have compiled gnome-shell from git repositories and now I'm figting with some issues. Shell is not storing my configuration. I've done some customisation in settings like backlight level which is restored to it original level after logging out. And some of them aren't changed a bit. I've disabled screen energy saving in gpm but it did not worked, also tapping is not working. Also I got a question about theming. how can I add other window borders? I'm currently using default window border which is too big to my small netbook screen. Maybe it help: My default environment is KDE but before I installed gnome-shell I've installed gnome and gnome-extra packages to be sure that everything will work. Changing KDM to GDM is not solving my problem. I'm 100% sure that I'm owner of ~/gnome-shell and all files it contains.

If you compiled gnome-shell through Jhbuild you should be able to change the windows border theme by opening Gconf and editing the value of the key /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/theme, changing from Adwaita to whatever you want (at least this work for me). I have no answer for the other questions, I think your issues might be related to the new gnome-control-center and the new gnome-power-manager installed through Jhbuild, that duplicate setting entries, however this is a plain stupid guess and it might be just my stupid idea.

OT:
Besides, if you are using the shell, could you please monitor with top the CPU usage of the mutter process when playing a video fullscreen. I get a spike of about 20% of one CPU, which is crap, I'm planning to report it upstream but I would like to see if I'm the only one smile

#6 2011-01-17 08:39:37

rzepaczyk

1835 mateusz   20   0  322m  46m  24m S   16  2.3   1:19.27 mutter   

same here, about 20%.

So, back to the topic:
I've just compiled dconf 0.6 and I got same error msg as with 0.5:

aborting...

Do I must remove default gnome-control-center and gpm from gnome("normal" gnome 2.32)? I installed gnome only for use it with gnome-shell so it won't matter if I have to get rid with some of "standard" packages

#7 2011-01-17 09:42:31

alexcriss

rzepaczyk wrote:
 1835 mateusz   20   0  322m  46m  24m S   16  2.3   1:19.27 mutter   

So, back to the topic:
I've just compiled dconf 0.6 and I got same error msg as with 0.5:

aborting...

Do I must remove default gnome-control-center and gpm from gnome("normal" gnome 2.32)? I installed gnome only for use it with gnome-shell so it won't matter if I have to get rid with some of "standard" packages

I have no clues. The only thing I remember is that editing Gconf /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid-ac to nothing prevented my pc to suspending when I closed the lid (sound obvious) for ages. This stopped working (as far as I remeber) when jhbuild started to pull in a new gnome-power-manager and I had to disable it somewhere else (I have no idea where, made a free on my memory). You should be able to open the new control center from the shell panel -> user name menu -> system settings (it might sound different, I'm on Italian locale). Try changing something there and see if it helps.

I have no clues also regarding the dconf stuff, I tried now and I get the same error, all this dconf and gsettings is new for me, being a plain GNOME. Maybe ask on gnome-shell list and see what happens, sometimes you get useful replies there.

Board footer