You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 06:28:29

ryuuzaki

zsh delay when typing

Hi there, hope someone can tell me how to fix this minor problem.

First of all, when i dont start an x session (startx). Just running zsh without any window system, every thing i type is very fast. Lets say i hold letter 'A'. It will keep printing on the command line very fluidly, same thing goes with 'backspace' there is no delay when i delete a long string of A's.

So when i officially start an X session thats where i see difference on the performance in the command line. I have Xfce4 as my desktop environment with xmonad as the windows manager.

I would do the same thing on zsh, print a long string of A's holding down the key on the command line, i would notice that its not very fluid and slow and there are some noticeable delays, same thing when deleting the whole string with backspace. When you hold backspace from the end of the string, it would have a delay before it will start deleting and in fact its very slow as well when deleting the long string.

Its just a minor problem for me since you dont notice it most of the time, but when i do run vim you would notice it ie scrolling  through the document is slow. But if do it without starting my Desktop Environment, vim runs fast and smooth (scrolling, deleting, typing).

I'm just wondering what is causing this kind of performance.

--Thnx in advance.

#2 2011-01-18 07:25:39

mikesd
Website

Re: zsh delay when typing

Check the output of xset -q. The keyboard repeat rate and delay in particular.

$ xset -q | grep delay
  auto repeat delay:  300    repeat rate:  25

Board footer