You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 21:55:02

JohnMac

Dual boot Mac OS X and Arch: Arch installer cannot find CD drive?

Hi, everyone!  A friend convinced me to install Arch about a month ago on my desktop and I've loved it so much that I want to dual boot Mac OS X and Arch on my Macbook Pro 7.1.

So I have a Macbook Pro 7.1.  I have partitioned the drive in Mac OS X and installed rEFIt.  I have the Arch x86_64 disk which I know works because I installed Arch on another computer. 

When I boot from CD I get the familiar Arch screen with options "Boot Arch Linux, existing OS... etc."  I click boot Arch, and it starts to load.  However, it says "Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201005 ... ERROR: boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds... Falling back to interactive prompt.  /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off."

After searching around the forums, some people said they had similar problems attempting to install via USB.  I used "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" and my CD drive does not show up in ramfs.. What can I do to install this amazing OS on my MB Pro 7.1?

Thank you for your time!

#2 2011-01-21 01:37:58

JohnMac

Re: Dual boot Mac OS X and Arch: Arch installer cannot find CD drive?

Solved!  sledgehammer and MrE (sorry, I can't spell it) in IRC helped me out.  I had to download a newer iso that offers better Mac hardware support.  2010-12 iso

Board footer