You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 16:58:44

BaconPie

Notify OSD - Quick changing song

I know this has been covered but I am yet to find a solution even though I have searched google, this forum, the official page and asked on irc.

Whenever I change a song using a keybind I have it calling a script which calls both mpc and notify-send. So 'ctrl+alt+period' runs:

mpc next
notify-send "songName" "artist"

The problem with this is that if I skip a few songs it just queues up notifications on each song I have skipped, I only get information on the song I want about 10-15 seconds into the song. What I would like it to do instead is to show information on all the songs, but as soon as I skip the next song, it should stop showing information on the previous song and move on. Ario manages to do this perfectly but I don't really want to run Ario just so I can get notifications; that's not a solution, it's a workaround.

The user 0x1 helped me write a script in irc that detects the queuing and kills any notifications that aren't the current song, but this wasn't really ideal as it seemed to display the first skipped song and then the currently playing track.

In this thread the user klazsick suggests putting in the "-h string:synchronous:mpd" hint. I have tried this and now when issuing multiple notify-sends, it only displays the first one and ignores the rest. I think this is where my problem is.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you solve it? It's driving me crazy!

Oh and, I'm using notify-osd-bzr.

#2 2011-02-01 13:43:44

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Notify OSD - Quick changing song

I recently tried notify-osd and had a similar problem. My problem was that switching the song quickly resulted in notify-osd displaying 2 notifications, one on the original location (top-right) and the second on top-left.

This was really annoying and i tried the "-h string ..." thing, but that didn't work. I tried different versions from aur, but none worked. So i gave up on notify-osd itself.

#3 2011-02-01 14:46:40

Stebalien
Website

I don't use notify-osd anymore but you should try using the x-canonical-append hint ("-h string:x-canonical-append:mpd").

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#4 2011-02-01 22:33:09

BaconPie

What do you use instead of notify-osd?

Also, that hint does the job! Or, at least on my laptop it does... I'll have to try on my desktop later on as this generated a second window an only updated that one. I'll get back to you.

Last edited by BaconPie (2011-02-01 22:35:08)

#5 2011-02-08 15:35:16

BaconPie

Ok, with transparency enabled, that hint does nothing; the notifications come through one after another and each one lasts for about 5 seconds.

Without transparency, whenever I do multiple song changes, the original notification appears and then the second one pops up to the left of the screen instead of the top right.Subsequent song changes update the one on the left (or more, stack with the newest one on top) and the one on the right continues to queue. Really weird behavior...

Board footer