You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-25 11:01:51

Primoz

problems with alsactl 1610: no soundcard found (HDA NVidia)[Solved]

First I'd like to apologise for not the best title of this thread, and I fear that this post won't give anymore information.
Because, frankly I have no idea how and why this is happening.

Every once in a while I get error akin to this: alsactl:load-state:1610: no soundcard found, and similar errors. (If it's any help my soundcard is Realtek AC888 integrated chip)
I thought it was due to wrongly built nVidia driver (I use kernel26-ck and thus nvidia-ck driver), so I changed from beta driver to "normal", but that didn't really helped.
My sound still works even if I get this error, just I can't use KMix to alter volume.

BTW, I use S/PDIF and my main channel is PCM. And when I get this error KMix loses the PCM channel.
Rebooting my computeer seems to fix this problem.

So I have no idea why this happens and how it gets fixed.

Theories I had why it's like this, but have proved wrong:
-My soundcard/alsa still needs HAL for PCM channel to work. Even after I reinstalled HAL this problem didn't go away.
-While building nVidia driver something went wrong and that's why it doesn't work. Changed from beta to normal driver, the error still happens. Also given that the error doesn't happen always kind of disproves the driver theory.
-While shutting down some error happens (the actual error is NetworkManager related, so yeah no) which prevents alsa from shutting down properly and thus next time I turn on my computer alsa doesn't work properly.
This theory could be true, due to a) when I reboot when this happens, everything works again. b) would explain why it happens sometimes but not every time.
But there are other evidence makes me think this is the least possible one. As I said the error during shutdown is NetworkManager related, and I can recall this error happening and the everything still working.

Last edited by Primoz (2011-02-07 18:58:14)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#2 2011-01-26 09:04:15

Primoz

Re: problems with alsactl 1610: no soundcard found (HDA NVidia)[Solved]

I guess I was right, nobody knows what the problem could be...
And I haven't got any more info either...
I can just provide the full error: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1610 no sound card found.
And the last option that I listed in OP was disproved... Yesterday it turned off without any errors, and now it doesn't work.

Also googling doesn't give me any good results. The closest is this thread, from this very forum. (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=780962) But as I said in OP, my sound still works, alsamix still works, but alsaconf doesn't find any card...
But I'll try and remove the alsa-utils and alsa-lib.

And if this wont work, I'll probably try OSS.

Last edited by Primoz (2011-01-26 09:05:39)

#3 2011-01-26 12:49:30

Primoz

Well reinstalling alsa-lib and alsa-utils didn't help.
Neither did oss, if I set it correctly.

#4 2011-01-28 13:56:16

Primoz

I think I found the probavle culprit. I din't know how I didn't see this before:  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php? … mments=all
It's my kernel. As you can see in coments I'm not the only one having the alsa related problems.
I'll install kernel26 to prove this. Then if this is the culprit I'll mark it solved.

#5 2011-01-28 22:47:45

bones
Website

@Primoz
This sounds very similar to my problem. Sadly I have no idea myself. Hopefully you trying kernel26 will work but don't hold your breath because I'm using the standard kernel. I'm still trying to work out what the heck is causing this problem and if I find it I will post here.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#6 2011-01-30 12:22:06

Kilzool

Make sure you do:   # alsaconf 

# is not part of the command, it is my prompt

Also, you need to be root or use sudo  to run 'alsaconf'

Hope that helps.

#7 2011-01-30 14:05:16

Primoz

Thanks guys! But thankfully the last kernel update solved this for me. But I still don't know what the real problem was.
@Kilzool: I did that (while I still had problems with it), it didn't find any soundcards, even though alsamixer did and sound worked...

Thankfully it all turned out good.

@Bones: maybe you should either try and reinstall the kernel, or use ABS to build it yourself.

Hope this helps. I'll leave it as unsolved, because I have no idea why it got better, and given that bones still has a problem with his soundcard.

#8 2011-01-30 20:45:12

bones
Website

Thanks for the tip. Will try the kernel trick and see what happens, glad to see yours is fine now. If it works I'll post here and you can mark this thread as solved.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#9 2011-02-01 23:16:22

Primoz

Well interestingly enough it came, back. But I think now I really, really did fix it.
Plus I still couldn't get PCM channel working, but I realised that just quiting KMix and starting it back made it reckognise the PCM channel.
Hope this actualy the end of problems for me.

#10 2011-02-02 00:50:49

bones
Website

What drives me mad is that when you want the problem to show up again it doesn't. So I'm not saying it's fixed just yet on my system. Will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

#11 2011-02-02 20:44:35

Primoz

bones wrote:

What drives me mad is that when you want the problem to show up again it doesn't. So I'm not saying it's fixed just yet on my system. Will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Yup same here, I could say I solve it. But you never know when it creep back in. And then I'll be as lost as I was before.

Board footer