You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-25 23:32:51

Llama
Banned

Deluge "user" and "download directory" concepts

Hi,

Deluge "user", as described in /etc/conf.d/deliged: what is it? It doesn't sound like your average UNIX user.

The default download directory /srv/deluge also doesn't look like a download directory at all.

Last edited by Llama (2011-01-25 23:35:58)

#2 2011-01-26 00:39:22

Barrucadu
Website

Re: Deluge "user" and "download directory" concepts

Have you tried reading the Deluge documentation?

#3 2011-01-26 04:59:16

Llama
Banned

Barrucadu wrote:

Have you tried reading the Deluge documentation?

Yes, I have. Both official and Archwiki. They assume it to be self evident, unless I've missed an important part.

#4 2011-01-26 15:31:24

Barrucadu
Website

ArchWIki wrote:

The rest of this guide will assume you use the default "deluge" user. This user's default home dir and therefore its configuration location is in /srv/deluge.

I assume it's a standard UNIX user.

#5 2011-01-26 17:45:52

Llama
Banned

Barrucadu wrote:
ArchWIki wrote:

The rest of this guide will assume you use the default "deluge" user. This user's default home dir and therefore its configuration location is in /srv/deluge.

I assume it's a standard UNIX user.

That's better, just a tiny bit. Unfortunately, I can't figure out what to do with it.

I'd like to install Deluge as a server so as to access it from other boxes on my home LAN, without ssh.

Documentation from reliable sources:

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Deluge

Well, everything is pretty straightforward except for user and authentication things.

Suppose I live on one box as an ordinary Linux user "alfa", password "able", home directory /home/alfa. I'm going to set up Deluge server there, keep downloaded files somewhere inside /home/alfa, not necessarily in a single directory. Nothing wrong with that, I presume.

After install and the first run I've got this:

/etc/conf.d/deluged:

DELUGE_USER="deluge"

It is an ordinary Linux user, then.

/home/alfa/.config/deluge, where all the bits and pieces live, which makes sense.
/srv/deluge, which is called "The default download directory". This doesn't yet make any sense for me.

( 8 ) from the Thin Client doc which I can't figure out:

#8. Add yourself to the authentication file:

echo "yourusername:yourpassword:level" >> ~/.config/deluge/auth

where "yourusername" and "yourpassword" are the username and password you intend to use and "level" is your desired authentication level. For example:

echo "bob:letMEin:10" >> ~/.config/deluge/auth

What is "yourusername"? Is it "alfa" or "deluge" (or whatever /etc/conf.d/deluged contains)?
What is "yourpassword"? Is it "able" or is it something else entirely?

This Gentoo Wiki passage does suggest that "deluge" is a real Linux user, but I still don't get the purpose/concept.

Start with creating user with a home directory for Deluge and start service, as a security measure we set the shell to /bin/false and the group to nogroup:
useradd -m -g nogroup -s /bin/false deluge

I still don't understand whether I must set up Deluge sever in a separate user (where I'd be forced to store downloaded files in), or I just have to replace "deluge" with "alfa", or whatever else.

I hope I made myself clear, more or less.

#6 2011-01-26 18:59:13

Barrucadu
Website

The idea is so the deluge server doesn't run as root; you can run it as whatever user you want, it's just usual for it to have its own user (eg: apache runs as "http", mysql runs as "mysql", BIND9 runs as "named")

edit: I would assume the username / password / access level in the config file are completely separate to UNIX users, and are some form of authentication performed by the Deluge server.

Last edited by Barrucadu (2011-01-26 19:00:23)

#7 2011-01-27 01:07:28

Llama
Banned

Barrucadu wrote:

The idea is so the deluge server doesn't run as root; you can run it as whatever user you want, it's just usual for it to have its own user (eg: apache runs as "http", mysql runs as "mysql", BIND9 runs as "named")

I'm not going to run a dedicated server, neither am I going to run as root. So I suppose "alfa" is good enough. Do I have to edit /etc/conf.d/deluged?

DELUGE_USER="alfa"

Or can I simply disregard this config?

Barrucadu wrote:

I would assume the username / password / access level in the config file are completely separate to UNIX users, and are some form of authentication performed by the Deluge server.

Thanks! It makes things much clearer.

Board footer