You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-26 00:02:17

jwhendy

[SOLVED] Openbox/tint2 (or trayer) -- nothing in system tray

Hi,

Just decided to try Openbox and see what all the fuss was about. I really like it and am fairly confident I'll be ditching Xfce quite soon. I've had some oddities come up, though...

- tint2 (and trayer, for that matter) show nothing at all (no icons, no nothing) in the system tray. I've started tint2 with this (stolen from elsewhere) just to try the tray:

#---------------------------------------------
# SYSTRAYBAR
#---------------------------------------------
systray_padding = 0 0 0
systray_background_id = 0

and trayer with this:

trayer --expand true --widthtype request --edge top --align right --SetDockType false

and nothing shows up. Is there some set of icons or package or communication that needs to be going on that isn't happening?

Thanks for any suggestions. It's mostly usable, but it'd be nice to get these issues resolved.

- Now solved (see update below): I really like the Still Dark II theme by Tawan but when I C-A-Left/Right to change desktops, none of the rectangle desktop icons in the pop-up pager thingy change colors. I just see four black rectangles with blue borders the color of the theme blue, but they don't show one solid one to indicate where you are. With other themes, this hasn't been a problem and I get one solid rectangle to indicate my current desktop position. For what it's worth, the same thing happens with xfzen-blue, too. What's might be the issue?

---( Update )---
Tawan responded to an earlier message I sent and helped sort everything out. For those interested, if you have no solid color when switching desktops, find the ../theme-name/openbox-3/themerc and correct/add these lines:

osd.hilight.bg: flat solid
osd.hilight.bg.color: #1994d1

This was exactly what I needed. Just replace the html hex color with what you want.
---( End Update )---

Last edited by jwhendy (2011-01-26 03:07:18)

#2 2011-01-26 03:08:55

jwhendy

Re: [SOLVED] Openbox/tint2 (or trayer) -- nothing in system tray

Wow -- I shouldn't be allowed near a computer. Apparently you actually have to start something that shows up in the panel for... something to show up in the panel. I'm used to xfce where a battery monitor and wicd-client were always running from startup. Starting vlc was what did it for me. Seeing that darn cone show up was what made me commence slapping myself.

Board footer