You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-26 18:48:21

cerulean_cirkus

[SOLVED] Xorg -configure in rc.local Vesa Only?

So I'll give some back story first.  I've been working on an image for USB's using archiso for people to use where I work (various tools on it like OfflineNT, Symantec Ghost, scripts, etc.).  I have it configured to autologon and autostart X.  Everything is up and running fine except on some laptops the vesa video driver doesn't work.  So far I've only run into this issue with Thinkpad T410's.

Okay, specifics:
I need to have an automated way of setting up xorg.conf with the right video driver on startup.  So I added Xorg -configure into rc.local and added a mv command to place the generated conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf which runs fine.  Except that it only ever grabs the vesa video driver for it.  Now if I let the system come up and do Xorg -configure in the console it gets the right video driver.  So I'm looking for any ideas/suggestions for another way to do it or how to get it to work properly in rc.local.  I've also tried just setting up inittab to do the same but alas I get the same issue.

I just had the idea of checking the video vendor/model and appropriating an already configured xorg.conf  based on the result, however even if this does work (it sounds like it should right? but then again Xorg -configure in rc.local sounded like it would work when I first thought of it...) I'll either have to create a lengthy script for a wide array of models or just for the specific one I'm having trouble with, which then has potential for me to run into the same issue for a different machine/model down the road.  Either way supposing it works it's an undesirable method that I'd like to avoid going into if possible.

Thanks for any help and forgive me if there is something blatantly obvious I'm missing.

Last edited by cerulean_cirkus (2011-01-26 19:39:32)

#2 2011-01-26 19:12:18

Gusar

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg -configure in rc.local Vesa Only?

Xorg -configure creates an outdated xorg.conf, and so shouldn't be used anymore. You don't need and xorg.conf anyway, the right driver will get loaded automatically. Well, for nvidia cards the pretty much unmaintained nv driver will get loaded, so you might want to patch Xorg to change that to nouveau: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewv … iew=markup

#3 2011-01-26 19:30:21

cerulean_cirkus

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg -configure in rc.local Vesa Only?

I was originally not using a xorg.conf and ran into the issue thus why I switched to trying to have it configured.  The laptop in question does have an nvidia card and when working properly uses the nouveau driver so I think patching Xorg is exactly what I need to do.  Not so blatantly obvious but I'm still facepalming.  Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by cerulean_cirkus (2011-01-26 19:34:27)

Board footer