You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-27 05:06:24

vikrang

[SOLVED] Teething problems

I just installed KDE version of Arch (Full Install)

I need help with

(a) At boot , all the services are started,,,The daemons are loaded one by one syslog [DONE], dbus[DONE] etc and when it comes to network , there is a big pause and it says [FAIL]..After that crond is loaded [DONE] and system boots up

(b)  Knetwork Manager ..The Network status Icon at the system tray (which gives notification when system connected/disconected] , near battery , sound doesnt appear ..I am forced to use command prompt for getting network up  modprobe ipw200;..Wpa_supplicant etc..Also due to this , i am not able to view the available networks in wireless..I have installed ipw-2100 firmware but system does not pick it up.

(c) Initially in kdm , I tried to login as root but it failed...Then , I created a user and Chown -hR <user> /home/<user> and it boots into KDE as user ...But how do I enable all priviliges for this user..Currently , I am not able to shutdown and have to go to console as root and "poweroff"

(d) ALSA -  I have installed alsa-utils; alsa-oss and unmuted the PCM and master channels... I am not getting sound on bootup  or shutdown(the default KDE startup/shutdown tune)..I am yet to try MP3 as I have to install the plugins...But my hunch is it wont work at the moment...

Request ur assistance

Dear Moderator - If the question is too long , can you split it up into 2 Qns pls?

Last edited by vikrang (2011-01-28 06:19:18)

#2 2011-01-27 05:24:39

dipesh.nomad

Re: [SOLVED] Teething problems

for the knetworkmanager applet, i think you have to install kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement which will also network manager. you will have to remove network from the daemons array in your rc.conf and add networkmanager after installing.

#3 2011-01-27 05:28:28

vikrang

Thanks I have installed kde-plasma-networkmanagement ,, but have to do the changes in rc.conf.Will try ...

#4 2011-01-27 05:35:40

dipesh.nomad

vikrang wrote:

(c) Initially in kdm , I tried to login as root but it failed...Then , I created a user and Chown -hR <user> /home/<user> and it boots into KDE as user ...But how do I enable all priviliges for this user..Currently , I am not able to shutdown and have to go to console as root and "poweroff"

check this post for granting normal user with power priviliges..

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=439235

#5 2011-01-28 06:06:19

vikrang

Thanks Dipesh ,

(1), (2)  and (3) solved following your recommendation.

For ALSA ,  I added options=snd-hda-intel model=ref for Sigmatel card  in /etc/modprobe.conf.. (Not sure if it is correct though ...It is an age old fix...But newer kernels support out of the box I think...Since it was working I just left the file I created.Also the newer kernel gives error message sometimes that modprobe.conf is deprecated and all modules should be in /etc/modprobe.d or similar error message. I will have to do some reading on that.

The problems are solved..So this thread could be marked as "SOLVED"...

Board footer