You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-27 06:41:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Window manager that allows independent virtual desktops?

I've used compiz for ages, currently with pytyle, on a two-monitor system. One thing that's been bugging me recently as I increase the number of apps used at any one time is that both monitors are looking at the same virtual desktop.

For example I may have desktop A till D. Aleft holds Firefox, Aright holds pidgin, Bleft holds Evolution, Bright holds gvim, and so on and so forth. The thing is, for me to view both Firefox and gVim at the same time I'd have to move Firefox to Bleft (or gvim to Aright).

Is there any Xinerama-capable window manager out there which would allow me to decouple Aleft and Aright? So the net effect would be I have A-D on the left side, E-H on the right side, and I can be working with/viewing any of them at any one time.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2011-01-27 07:38:54

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Window manager that allows independent virtual desktops?

ngoonee wrote:

Is there any Xinerama-capable window manager out there which would allow me to decouple Aleft and Aright? So the net effect would be I have A-D on the left side, E-H on the right side, and I can be working with/viewing any of them at any one time.

Yes, most of them do that. You can try any tiler.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-01-27 09:13:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Yes, most of them do that. You can try any tiler.

I wasn't aware that tilers did that, based on reading the websites/wikis of most of them over one time or another. I will have to look into that, thanks litemotiv.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-01-27 13:57:24

shwick

I'm pretty sure e17 does this by default

#5 2011-01-27 17:29:36

nocain

shwick wrote:

I'm pretty sure e17 does this by default

Yes this is the default for e17 but I don't know about anyone else but for me the e17 packages in the repo currently don't work I had to revert back the packages after the last update to get it back up and running. another poster sounds to be having the same issue as me.

Board footer