You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-28 01:37:12

nopriler

[Solved]KDE:DISPLAY isn't set or can't connect to the X server

Hello, everyone.
The existence of "Other language" forum is beyond my expectation, but it seems few people go there.
My problem is emergent, so I hope that you could bear my weak English. Thanks.
I like the Arch Way very much, so I start to use it. But it seems that the way to Arch is not smooth.
I could not search out the solution to the problem I met in Google, Arch Wiki and even the forum.

I installed the KDE, Gnome and Xfce. The Gnome and Xfce works well, but KDE does not.
I tried "startkde" to start KDE and got the error:

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

What should I do?
Thanks.
——————————[SOLVED]——————————
Starting X (startx) failed:
Issue Description:
I configured ~/.xinitrc and  started KDE(startx).
At first, The loading screen for KDE was showed,but soon came back to TTY.
What Cause:

$ Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/db

Solving Way:
Start D-Bus server

Last edited by nopriler (2011-04-18 04:44:00)

#2 2011-01-28 07:19:55

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved]KDE:DISPLAY isn't set or can't connect to the X server

Do you use a log in manager?

Are you running multiple desktops while X is already running

Mr Green

#3 2011-01-28 07:56:26

nopriler

I am sorry, I could not understand you well. Mr Green.
Do you mean dIsplay manager? I didn't install any.
I have ever tried running multiple desktops, but it doesn't work, so I give it up.
I only run KDE.

Last edited by nopriler (2011-01-28 08:00:46)

#4 2011-01-28 14:05:39

Primoz

I'm guessing that you do have kdm installed. If not install it. Then go to inittab and edit it appropriately.
OR probably even better; install whole KDE not just base. Maybe something went wrong and crucial part of KDE is missing.
That's at least what I would imagine with this error:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#5 2011-01-29 07:56:58

MadTux

Can you show us your /etc/rc.conf? You need dbus in order to use KDE. What version of KDE did you install. Versions before KDE 4.6 additionally need the hal daemon.

#6 2011-01-29 10:33:38

nopriler

Primoz,
I don't realize that the KDM is included in KDE package.
I edited inittab.But,it came back to KDM as soon as I logged in!
I installed the whole KDE,and I had tried installing KDE again and again.
I will try to past all the message.
Thank you for your consideration.

#7 2011-01-29 10:59:45

nopriler

MadTux,

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa hal cpufrequtils)

The version of KDE is 4.5.5-1
The dbus starts succesfully .
What should I do?

Last edited by nopriler (2011-01-29 12:30:34)

#8 2011-01-29 18:51:25

salixman

I'm having a similar issue, although I installed all of the KDE-meta packages. I have the system set to boot to kdm, but when I enter my hostname and password and enter in kdm the system opens a small, white terminal window in the bottom right corner instead of showing the loading screen for KDE. I tried starting KDE from a terminal (switched to it with CTRL+ALT+F2, Xorg is also running at this point), and I get the same error message as nopriler--"$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.". I've tried starting KDM through the Daemons and through /etc/inittab, and the result is the same. For a bit of background info, I had GNOME installed previous to KDE, and gdm configured, although I uninstalled GDM, uncommented the appropriate lines in /etc/inittab, and removed from the Daemons interface

EDIT: I managed to get KDE to boot by disabling KDM, then starting X (startx), then entering startkde from one of the wm terminals. It's kind of a buggy workaround way to do things, but it appears to at least be getting me something resembling a KDE desktop. The problem is that thedesktop seems to be running X's wm on top of KDE, so not really much of a fix.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry about all the edits, I've just been messing with KDE a lot. I think I was getting the weird KDE boot issues (in the first edit) because I was starting X  as root. Starting x as my normal, non-root user (along with .xinitrc tweaked to automatically start KDE) got me the KDE desktop in its completely normal state. Is it possible that your problems might have something to do with starting X as root, nopriler?

Last edited by salixman (2011-01-29 19:24:03)

#9 2011-01-30 05:12:46

nopriler

salixman,
Thank you for your message.
I got the error both as root user and normal, non-root user.
I have once tried configuring ~/.xinitrc and starting X (startx).The loading screen for KDE was showed,but soon came back to TTY.

Last edited by nopriler (2011-01-30 05:13:35)

#10 2011-02-01 06:58:35

crashenx

Similar issues here. New install on Thinkpad Edge 14 with intel integrated graphics.

I can startx. I can startkde via startx and .xinitrc containing startkde. I cannot start kdm successfully:

Received unknown or unexpected command -2 from greeter
Abnormal termination of greeter for display :0, code 1, signal 0

I have kde-meta-kdebase installed. I'm downloading kde-meta now to test (finished installing; didn't fix the problem). I had hal installed. I uninstalled it. dbus is running. I checked out kdmrc. I didn't see anything in there that seemed like it would fix the problems I'm having, but I could be wrong.

"I tried starting KDE from a terminal (switched to it with CTRL+ALT+F2, Xorg is also running at this point), and I get the same error message as nopriler--"$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server."

I did this as well at one point but got KDE to load by exporting the DISPLAY=:0.0. However, after the loading screen it went to a black screen (no workspace) and a cursor I could move around.

#11 2011-02-02 15:23:43

nopriler

Solved after re-installed

#12 2011-02-02 17:31:36

mtmargala

salixman wrote:

I'm having a similar issue, although I installed all of the KDE-meta packages. I have the system set to boot to kdm, but when I enter my hostname and password and enter in kdm the system opens a small, white terminal window in the bottom right corner instead of showing the loading screen for KDE. I tried starting KDE from a terminal (switched to it with CTRL+ALT+F2, Xorg is also running at this point), and I get the same error message as nopriler--"$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.". I've tried starting KDM through the Daemons and through /etc/inittab, and the result is the same. For a bit of background info, I had GNOME installed previous to KDE, and gdm configured, although I uninstalled GDM, uncommented the appropriate lines in /etc/inittab, and removed from the Daemons interface

EDIT: I managed to get KDE to boot by disabling KDM, then starting X (startx), then entering startkde from one of the wm terminals. It's kind of a buggy workaround way to do things, but it appears to at least be getting me something resembling a KDE desktop. The problem is that thedesktop seems to be running X's wm on top of KDE, so not really much of a fix.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry about all the edits, I've just been messing with KDE a lot. I think I was getting the weird KDE boot issues (in the first edit) because I was starting X  as root. Starting x as my normal, non-root user (along with .xinitrc tweaked to automatically start KDE) got me the KDE desktop in its completely normal state. Is it possible that your problems might have something to do with starting X as root, nopriler?

I am having the same issue, any way to fix this that you know of?

Board footer