You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-29 11:21:26

anadyr

CUPS "print queue failed", but works over network

Hi,

I have an HP PSC1400 printer, and two computers. I can only print from 1 computer, but I want to be able to print from both.

computer 1: a laptop with the HP usb printer attached: it runs CUPS, and the printer is shared on the network.
computer 2: prints over the network; printing works fine.

The thing is: I cannot print from computer 1 itself (the computer on which the printer is physically attached!!), but it does work from computer 2 the network...

On the laptop I used CUPS to add the printer. This seemed to have worked partially:
computer 1: the printer doesn't appear in the list of printers, so I cannot print.
computer 2: the printer does appear: I can print over the network.
I also tried to use hp-setup to add the printer, but this failed: "Printer queue setup failed; please add user to sys group" I added the user, but the error remains.

Could someone give a clue about how I can fix this strange problem?

#2 2011-01-30 20:54:18

Thor@Flanders

Re: CUPS "print queue failed", but works over network

Hi,

At the risk of getting into trouble...how did you install the local printer?
I have a printer shared over the network here. Some simple steps I took: install the OS, install CUPS and apache, make shure the printer is installed using CUPS (involves opening 127.0.0.1:631 from a browser and setting it up locally), shared and then make shure the printer is also set up in System-Administration-Printing.
I noticed that to print locally, you may need to set up the printer in two places: CUPS (web) and locally (App).
Open the browser (on computer 1), go to port 631 on the loop back and try to access the interface, try to get a test page. Then try System-Administration-Printing (again on the first computer) and add the printer. In the protocol you'll need IPP of course...the URL is something like IPP://adress/printers/yourprinter where yourprinter is the name you gave it on setup...

Luck!

(I'll try to follow up on this thread - I hope to have helped...)

Thor

Edit : this is the link where I laid all of that out in more detail :  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105954 it is the last entry, you may need to repeat the steps I did on the client for your first computer, of course

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2011-01-30 20:58:43)

#3 2011-01-30 21:40:12

anadyr

Hi,

The printer seems to be installed properly through CUPS: I can print the test page.
Well I run fluxbox, and I'm afraid I don't understand you when you say "try System-Administration-Printing", and also when you say "you may need to set up the printer locally (App)" What app?

But what I might try is to set up an ipp connection and try to connect it through the network, even though it is physically attached through USB. I'll try that ASAP.

#4 2011-01-30 21:46:27

Knute

One thing that you need to keep in mind when you change groups that you belong to and such, is that you need to logout and log back in so that the change takes effect.

So if you simply added yourself, but did not log out and back in, you are not yet in that group.

Knute

Board footer