You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-31 09:04:19

WishCow

[SOLVED] Pacman circular update problem

Hello, first time Arch user here.

I did a pacman -Syu yesterday, which updated the kernel to a new version. I have an ATI card, and I'm using the catalyst drivers from AUR,
which meant that I couldn't boot X today, because the fglrx module wasn't patched into the kernel.

I thought no problem, and brute-forced the problem with a reinstall of the catalyst driver. It turned out that catalyst has also been updated,
which had a dependency on catalyst-utils11, (I had catalyst-utils10) so I had to update that first.

When I tried to update catalyst-utils, it complained that I need catalyst11, (I had catalyst10). I cannot update either package, because it depends
on the other package updated first.

Reading the manual of makepkg, I discovered the -d (nodeps) option, which ignores missing dependencies, and done:

makepkg -d
cd ../catalyst11
makepkg -d
sudo pacman -U catalyst11 ../catalyst-utils/catalyst-utils11

Which solved the problem perfectly.

Now my question is, is there a better solution to handling this scenario, when two package depend on each other being updated, or doing makepkg -d is the correct way?

Last edited by WishCow (2011-01-31 09:14:30)

#2 2011-01-31 09:06:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman circular update problem

-d or -f both work, so yes, that's the 'correct' way in this situation where both have versioned dependencies on each other.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-01-31 14:46:46

ANOKNUSA

You should also inform the maintainer of catalyst-utils of this problem, if someone else hasn't already.

#4 2011-01-31 16:05:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ANOKNUSA wrote:

You should also inform the maintainer of catalyst-utils of this problem, if someone else hasn't already.

I don't think its a bug.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer