You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-02 18:12:43

flan_suse

Usage of groups=() ?

I read through the Arch Packaging Standards, but it did not cover the proper usage of groups=(). Is there any harm in using groups=('group-name') if it is a unique group that covers multiple like-packages? This is a general question, but there is also a particular case at the moment, explained below.

Rather than create a single package for the Shimmer Project Xfce themes (Albatross, Bluebird, Greybird, etc, debuting in each Xubuntu release), I made seperate PKGBUILDs, since a group named "xfce-themes-shimmer-collection" can encompass all of these, and any future themes they release. A user can either install them selectively (aurhelper -S xfce-theme-albatross xfce-theme-bluebird) or install the entire collection (aurhelper -S xfce-themes-shimmer-collection). This is also something that could help the Bisigi themes (not the case at the moment on Arch, but there is a metapackage for Ubuntu from the Bisigi PPA named "bisigi-themes").

Mods, please move this thread to Creating & Modifying Packages if this is the wrong section. It's a general question, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it.

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-02-02 18:31:45)

#2 2011-03-12 01:05:08

chris-kun
Website

Re: Usage of groups=() ?

also wondering about this..

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you." -- Bregol

#3 2011-03-12 01:41:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Usage of groups=() ?

AUR-helpers are not an official part of Arch, and I'm not sure if any of them support groups at the moment. The AUR is meant to be accessed 'traditionally' (download tarball and makepkg), in that scenario the groups list is useless.

I've never bothered with groups myself, since it only makes sense in the context of automation, and the AUR shouldn't be too automated (for various reasons covered in the wiki).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer