You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 10:47:16

leschandrew

Install troubles over lousy school internet

Okay,

So I'm trying to install arch linux (from core image) and I've run into a roadblock.  Basically, I've got it installed all the way up to where I started configuring with Vi but I can't download the necessary files I need thru pacman because I can't connect to the internet.  This is because my school's internet security requires logon authentication from within a browser - once a browser is opened, you are re-directed to a logon page.  Obviously, this isn't an option when I'm setting up linux from a text editor.  Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the files I need?  I was thinking of trying to use the lynx text browser, but I am not sure how I would get it installed using Vi.  I tried downloading it from another computer and saving it to a flash drive, but don't know how to locate the file when i plug in the drive to the computer i'm installing linux on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew

#2 2011-02-03 11:08:19

Ramses de Norre

Re: Install troubles over lousy school internet

Do you have to login after each reboot?
If so, what you might try is to download a live image of a distro with a GUI (e.g. ubuntu) and boot that, log in to have internet, chroot into your arch install and do what needs to be done.

I don't know what's your level of experience with linux and whether the above is understandable to you? There is a decent wiki article about chroot. So I suggest you try to follow that and return here if you have specific troubles or don't understand what I mean. If you google chroot and understand what that does, you'll probably understand the procedure I'm suggesting.

HTH

#3 2011-02-03 12:00:05

Awebb

You should be able to authenticate with the network using a text browser.

But what you really should do is: Ask the administrator of your school's network for advice.

#4 2011-02-05 08:12:46

leschandrew

Hey thanks everyone for the replies.  The live cd boot then chroot into the arch install is a great idea, but unfortunately my mobo died before I could try it out. sad  When I RMA it and get a new one, I'll let you know how it went.  Thanks again.

#5 2011-02-05 08:45:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

leschandrew wrote:

I was thinking of trying to use the lynx text browser, but I am not sure how I would get it installed using Vi.

Uhmm... install it with pacman - not vi.

leschandrew wrote:

I tried downloading it from another computer and saving it to a flash drive, but don't know how to locate the file when i plug in the drive to the computer i'm installing linux on.

dmesg will tell you the drive name after you plug it in. Using that info, you mount it and then install the package with pacman.

Board footer