You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 14:29:07

zenrael

dmraid only activates partitions on first array set

Hiya,

I just setup a new system - two raid1 disksets (fakeraid - need win access), and both run fine. However i go into the arch installation and dmraid -ay FINDS both raid volumes but only activates the partitions on the first arrayset. Now, I got around this in the installation by running partprobe, which picked up the partitions fine, however now I can't actually boot into the new system because the raidset dmraid does find partitions for does not contain root.

Obviously partprobe is no longer a solution because this is all done in the initrd.

I've tried searching around a few different sites, including the gentoo forums, and I note a couple of people have complained about similar problems in the past but with no solution.

If anybody has ANY idea how I might at least get around this bug, i'd be grateful. Is there a way to force dmraid to look at and activate all partitions on all raidsets rather than just the first?

Rebuilding the arrays from scratch isn't really possible - I cant lose the data one of the sets. I imagine however that if the array names were slightly different, perhaps it would see the set with root on as I think dmraid may be working alphabetically (My system is on Volume0 but dmraid checks Volume1 first - volume 1 has a device name higher (alphabetically) than vol 0)

Many thanks guys,

John

#2 2011-02-03 23:15:00

zenrael

Re: dmraid only activates partitions on first array set

Okay, I'm still not entirely sure whats going on here... but I did manage to fix it using the above idea. I destroyed the system array and rebuilt it from scratch - this gave it a device name higher alphabetically than the second array, and as such the correct set is activated by dmraid, allowing me to boot.

The bug still exists though - and indeed dmraid refuses to activate the partitions on the second array. I can access these partitions by running partprobe on the volume after boot.

Hope this helps someone, sorry i cant actually fix this or figure it more rigorously.

John

Board footer