You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-04 05:38:47

unilx

xbindkeys not auto-starting

I'm having a little trouble with xbindkeys,it won't start when i boot.I'm using copiz-fusion and i using the recommended auto start method.Could this be conflicting with xbinbkeys?
I only ask because on the "xbindkeys Arch Wiki" it says to add "xbindkeys  &" to my.xinitrc file before the window manager that I'm using but I'm not using the .xinitrc file.I  set
it up any way and it still doesn't work.Also i made a cron job for it which doesn't work unless i hit the run now button

Here is my .xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

xbindkeys &
exec compiz-fusion
# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

Thx

#2 2011-02-04 06:36:47

Novartum

Re: xbindkeys not auto-starting

And it works when you type "xbindkeys" in a terminal, correct?

#3 2011-02-04 06:38:04

unilx

Yes

#4 2011-02-04 11:47:29

singenbale

Your .xinitrc has "exec compiz-fusion" but since you aren't using it so provide information about the recommended autostart method that you are using.
Are you using stand-alone compiz-fusion or some desktop environment or login manager?

#5 2011-02-04 13:35:56

Knute

You need to set up your ~/.xsession file, which is used instead of ~/.xinitrc when using a login manager.

ln -s .xinitrc .xsession

should do the trick for ya.

Knute

#6 2011-02-04 15:56:07

unilx

2.3.2.2 Method 2 - export KDEWM (Preferred Method)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … icon.22.29

Method 2 - export KDEWM (Preferred Method)
Note: Using this method will load Compiz-Fusion as the default window manager instead of KWin from the start. This method is faster than automatically loading Compiz-Fusion with either of the two previous methods because it avoids loading KDE's default window manager (KWin) first. This method also prevents that annoying black screen flicker you might see using other methods (when kwin switches to Compiz on KDE's desktop loading screens).
As root you must create a short script by doing the following in your terminal. This will allow you to load compiz with the switches because doing it directly via export KDEWM="compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable" doesn't seem to work.

$ echo "compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable &" > /usr/bin/compiz-fusion
Note: If this line doesn't work, make sure the "fusion-icon" package is installed and then use this line instead:
$ echo "fusion-icon &" > /usr/bin/compiz-fusion
Be sure to complete the whole method before trying this substitute.
Ensure that /usr/bin/compiz-fusion has executable (+x) permissions.

$ chmod a+x /usr/bin/compiz-fusion
Choose one of the following:

1) Compiz for your user only --> Edit the file ~/.kde4/env/compiz.sh and add the following line so KDE will load compiz (via the script you just created) instead of loading KWin.
KDEWM="compiz-fusion"
2) Compiz system wide --> Edit the file /usr/env/compiz.sh and add the following line so KDE will load compiz (via the script you just created) instead of loading KWin.
KDEWM="compiz-fusion"
Note: If the above method shall not work for any reason, try the replacement mentioned above.
Note: If that still doesn't work, yet another alternate way to accomplish the above method is to include the line
export KDEWM="compiz-fusion"
in your user's ~/.bashrc file.
Note: If you optionally use the /usr/local/bin directory it may not work. In that case you should export the script including the whole path:
export KDEWM="/usr/local/bin/compiz-fusion"

Board footer