You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-05 06:34:20

daedalusman

issue with kmix's master volume level not working properly

So I just installed a new harddrive and installed Archlinux to it. After I get KDE all installed and setup and have alsa installed and setup, kmix doesn't display the volume level correctly for the master channel. What it shows is only half of volume level, in other words when the volume level is zero, kmix, and it's on screen popup display, show the volume to be at 50%; and then only utilizes that top 50% of the volume slider. Also kmix only allows the master channel to be shown, it wont allow me to see the front, side, center, back, and LFE channels to set separately. Alsamixer in a terminal shows the correct volume levels and all the channels are accessible.

Also, another question about kmix and volume adjustment, is there a way to change the volume step amount? I know how to do this in gnome but can't remember if it's possible/how to do it in KDE.

Thanks everyone for any help that can be provided. And please let me know if I need to clarify anything or if any other information is needed.

#2 2011-02-05 07:05:13

ewaller
Administrator

Re: issue with kmix's master volume level not working properly

I bet you are fighting with Pulseaudio.  KDE now pulls it in and uses it (IIRC).

Pulse audio allows the control of audio levels on a source by source basis.  The master volume and balance are set in Pulse audio.  Amixer output is just one of the sources available, and the volume setting is the relative volume of the source, but pulseaudio defines the maximum level for each source and scales it accordingly.

Try emerging pavucontrol and see if the controls in there make any sense.  It also provides audio level meters on a source by source basis (They really don't behave like broadcast  Vu  or Peak-power meters -- but that is not terribly important)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-02-05 08:08:38

daedalusman

Re: issue with kmix's master volume level not working properly

ewaller wrote:

I bet you are fighting with Pulseaudio.  KDE now pulls it in and uses it (IIRC).

Pulse audio allows the control of audio levels on a source by source basis.  The master volume and balance are set in Pulse audio.  Amixer output is just one of the sources available, and the volume setting is the relative volume of the source, but pulseaudio defines the maximum level for each source and scales it accordingly.

Try emerging pavucontrol and see if the controls in there make any sense.  It also provides audio level meters on a source by source basis (They really don't behave like broadcast  Vu  or Peak-power meters -- but that is not terribly important)

Well after reading this I checked to see if pulse was installed but the only thing that was listed as being installed was libpulse. It doesn't seem like pulse audio is installed, so I don't think this is my issue.

Board footer