You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-05 21:32:52

zero_one

[Solved]DVD drive mounting issues

My DVD drive was auto-mounting fine up until about 3 days ago when i rebooted with a video DVD in the drive. When I took it out to get some files off a data DVD i noticed thunar was still seeing it as the Video dvd  and would not unmount it when i ejected the disc with the eject button. The system didnt see it unmounted until i ejected it in thunar even though the disc was already out.

Now it will not auto-mount any disc, and i can only mount discs with the mount commnad as root only, but i can load a video DVD with vlc by choosing open disc and can watch movies just fine. the only time the disc will auto mount as user is if the disc in the drive when the computer is booted.

I tried uncommenting /dev/dvd in fstab which does nothing, i tried adding it to mtab to see if that would do anything, no luck.  i checked the udev rules and i didnt see anything strange. so i did a

ls -l /dev/dvd

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 5 15:23 /dev/dvd -> /dev/cd/dvd-1:0:0:0

is what i get... now root just doesnt seem right, but a chgrp does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?

I forgot to note that external usb drives mount fine.

Last edited by zero_one (2011-02-06 14:35:15)

#2 2011-02-06 00:09:14

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved]DVD drive mounting issues

zero_one wrote:

i tried adding it to mtab

Don't do that.  The system maintains /etc/mtab to reflect the current state of things. 

ls -l /dev/dvd

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 5 15:23 /dev/dvd -> /dev/cd/dvd-1:0:0:0

is what i get... now root just doesnt seem right

That is all correct, root should own it

After you eject the disk, try running a mount command (with no parameters).  It will show you what is really mounted (regardless of what Thunar may think)
Try inserting a disk and try the mount command again and see if the system really did automount it (regardless of what Thunar thinks).

The results will indicate how to proceed...

edit: fixed typo

Last edited by ewaller (2011-02-06 00:10:09)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-02-06 08:37:36

zero_one

When i do a mount without the disc it gives me the output of mtab, which doesnt show the drive as mounted. but when i insert a disc i get the same output with no optical drive.  currently i have to mount as root or reboot the computer with the disc in it.

#4 2011-02-06 14:39:09

zero_one

Solved it. For some reason the file at /etc/hal/fdi/information was set to false like this

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
     <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DV$
       <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>
     </match>
   </device>
 </deviceinfo>

I set it to true, never have before. but if it happens again i will just delete it and see what happens there. Sorry for wasting space, i was tired and missed it in the wiki. When in doubt.... take a nap.

Last edited by zero_one (2011-02-06 14:39:41)

Board footer