You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-06 00:28:20

Novartum

TuxOnIce Freezes

Hello everyone,

I have spent the past few days attempting to get suspend/hibernate to work with my Sony laptop, which has proven to be quite difficult. 

I have had a lot of issues with both using kernel and uswsusp-git (s2ram/s2disk).  S2ram caused the system to suspend correctly but then crash when trying to resume image (system would just crash and reboot with dirty filesystems).  S2disk seemed to work but it began hibernating at odd times (like during shutdown/reboot, e.g. I would press shutdown, it would begin, then for some reason it would hibernate; after clicking on power button it would resume image before finally shutting down).

I was advised to try TuxOnIce and now have encountered a small issue.  I have followed the wiki and have changed grub to point to the -ice kernel image and then run:

hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/tuxonice.conf 

The systems starts to hibernate but then shifts to a black screen and freezes.  Does anyone know what could cause this? With my attempts using other methods the problem was never with actually with suspending, but with resuming; this leads me to believe that this issue is due to me not having configured something correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Novartum (2011-02-06 00:29:16)

#2 2011-02-06 07:10:28

pankajmore

Re: TuxOnIce Freezes

Not a concrete solution but AFAIK , the -ice package from AUR is outdated in terms of the official tuxonice release. I encountered the same problem with it. The kernel26-pf package has a newer tuxonice patch which works for me here.

Nevertheless, Hibernate on Linux is a very thorny issue and unless your system is officially supported , it requires a lot of tinkering to make it work. You can also try debugging the tuxonice module by increasing the logging level from the config file and pin point the exact cause.  If you dont like tinkering , I would suggest that you forget about hibernate on linux and just live with normal shutdown.

Last edited by pankajmore (2011-02-06 07:11:14)

#3 2011-02-06 09:57:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

pankajmore wrote:

Not a concrete solution but AFAIK , the -ice package from AUR is outdated in terms of the official tuxonice release. I encountered the same problem with it. The kernel26-pf package has a newer tuxonice patch which works for me here.

As the current maintainer, I'd like to state that the above is not true (as of time of this post).

Nevertheless, Hibernate on Linux is a very thorny issue and unless your system is officially supported , it requires a lot of tinkering to make it work. You can also try debugging the tuxonice module by increasing the logging level from the config file and pin point the exact cause.  If you dont like tinkering , I would suggest that you forget about hibernate on linux and just live with normal shutdown.

This however is unfortunately quite true. It can 'just work' for some systems, but on some systems debugging will be needed.

I can TRY to help you, but you'd probably be better off just trying things. The wiki is pretty good, Gentoo's suspend wiki is good as well. The default hibernate script may only need a bit of tweaking, read the comments in the scripts, generally it should work on most systems.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-02-07 23:38:22

Novartum

Yeah for the time being I am abandoning my attempts at getting it to work.  I have tried numerous things and am simply tired of it (my boot time is ~15 seconds so it's not too big of a deal).

My only concern is with frequent shutdowns and startups.  I am a university student and then have to now resort to turning off and on when I switch from one class to another (can mean three of these cycles in a period of a few hours several times a week).  I am not an expert with laptops and hardware, but from basic research it doesn't seem that this should negatively impact a modern computer's life time too much through wear and tear.  Could anyone confirm that this is true.  Thanks for the replies.

#5 2011-02-08 02:30:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You could simply suspend the laptop, I used to do that before I finally got hibernate working. Its fast, doesn't have most of the bugs of hibernate/resume, and your HD etc. are still turned off so you don't need to worry about small bumps. It uses a bit of battery, but not all THAT much.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-02-08 03:35:06

Novartum

ngoonee - I tried suspend with s2ram without any positive results.  The computer would successfully suspend (the computer was off the power source, but LED light was still periodically blinking).  Yet when I clicked any button to get back to arch, the computer would crash and simply reboot (and I would receive a lot of dirty filesystems).  I have uninstalled the ice kernel, but would be happy to install it back if you think tuxonice may give me some better results (I am simply a bit tired after trying for days, primarily through help on the irc channel, to get this to work tongue)

Last edited by Novartum (2011-02-08 03:35:23)

#7 2011-02-08 04:00:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Nah, suspend works fine on normal kernel. I've never liked uswsusp, just use the 'standard' pm-utils suspend and see if it works, it worked for me without any tweaking (as far as I know it just does echo 1 > *wherever the /sys/proc/blah is currently*

#8 2011-02-08 04:08:36

Novartum

Yeah the first thing I tried (~2 weeks ago) was just to use the regular kernel function (through pm-suspend) with the resume=[swap partition] in my grub file. It had the results I just mentioned :-/

Last edited by Novartum (2011-02-08 04:09:00)

#9 2011-02-08 04:37:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

resume is for hibernate, not for suspend. What DE are you using? Does the machine suspend properly in single-user mode?

#10 2011-02-08 05:26:18

Novartum

I am running fluxbox and executing pm-suspend in single user mode results in computer crashing on resume once again.

I am not sure if you use the irc channel or have the time, but maybe we could talk briefly if you have any things you would like for me to quickly test out?

Last edited by Novartum (2011-02-08 05:37:55)

#11 2011-02-08 07:09:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Nah, am at work, just check the forums when I'm bored. Am basically out of ideas, probably your system has some modules misbehaving or such. Catalyst, perhaps? Would be useful to test if the same occurs using Vesa.

#12 2011-02-08 12:11:45

Cdh

In my experience with HD 4670 tuxonice works nice with catalyst.

The only kernel I have tried tuxonice with is the pf kernel. It works good on my netbook and on my main pc.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#13 2011-02-08 16:01:51

Kirurgs

Hi!

I use tuxonince + catalyst for more than a year and it works excellent... There were no issues at all. Kernel is custom build with arch patches, TOI + some others.

To test whether it's video card issue, please do this:
ctrl + f1 (console, login as root)
init 3 (go to multiuser non gui mode)
rrmod fglrx (remove catalyst module)
pm-suspend (for S3 - suspend to RAM) or pm-hibernate (S4 - suspend to DISK)

and resume afterwards. If this works, it might be a catalyst issue if it doesn't - it's not video card driver.

regards
Kirurgs

Last edited by Kirurgs (2011-02-09 06:33:50)

#14 2011-02-08 18:18:13

Novartum

I have not installed catalyst from AUR.  I have not seen the need.  Could this be a reason?

#15 2011-02-09 00:15:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Novartum wrote:

I have not installed catalyst from AUR.  I have not seen the need.  Could this be a reason?

What graphics card do you use?

#16 2011-02-09 00:31:24

Novartum

ATI Radeon HD 4650; have the xf86-video-ati driver installed

Here is the output of lspci if it helps:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
0a:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
0a:03.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
0a:03.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)

Last edited by Novartum (2011-02-09 00:58:16)

#17 2011-02-09 02:55:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I saw your email to the TOI list, hope you get help smile. As I mentioned before, I'm kind of stumped.

#18 2011-02-09 03:06:03

Novartum

No problem, thanks for the help anyway.  I'll keep you updated on what the TOI mailing list suggests.

Do you think it would have any significant long-term effect on my computer shutting off/on more often (like I mentioned in post #4) due to the fact that I am using it in university courses and don't have any alternative but to shutdown in between each at the moment.

#19 2011-02-09 06:33:31

Kirurgs

Hi!

Novartum wrote:

Usually vendor's drivers work the best with PM stuff than free drivers, please try catalyst... No need to install that from AUR, there is a repo for this in wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … repository).

Also, please try my method in my previous post, we have to be sure that this is video driver not smth else, if it's smth else - catalyst won't help... Just rmmod radeon instead of fglrx and this will do (you could try to use nomodeset kernel boot parameter and try my suggestion that as well). I'm insisting on this because in this thread I do not see any attempts to suspend/hibernate w/o X running which is one big step to understand what issue you have...

P.S. Please note that suspend and hibernate are two different things, suspend does not involve TOI, but both might be affected by video drivers.

regards
Kirurgs

Last edited by Kirurgs (2011-02-09 06:38:08)

Board footer