You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-06 15:08:42

otsug
Website

Yapan - another notifier

Hi, I am new to Arch Linux (two weeks I think), and I found a few applications for notification when pacman has updates avaiable, but they all are made using gtk(ugly in my opnion) and don't have some features I want, so I decided to write my own notifier using C++ and Qt: Yapan - Yet Another Package mAnager Notifier, you will enconter all features in this wiki:
https://bitbucket.org/otsug/yapan/wiki/Home

I think the big feature is to use other package manager like clyde or yaourt.

AUR package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=46213

I stole the sudo configuration from the pacman-notifier XD, the explanation is very good, I configured easily with the explanation when I installed pacman-notifier.

This is my first opensource application, my first AUR package and more important today is my birthday XD

Sorry for my english.

#2 2011-02-10 05:45:26

corvolino
Website

Re: Yapan - another notifier

good package (:

archlinux i686

#3 2011-02-10 05:52:51

otsug
Website

corvolino wrote:

good package (:

Thank you, amirs in AUR helped me with new cool icons, I think today or tomorrow I will launch a new version with some speed improvements and bug fix.

#4 2011-02-10 17:24:40

cbrunos

This looks nice. I will try it.

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#5 2011-02-11 18:54:30

otsug
Website

Today I launched Yapan 0.3, I think the code is much better now and the icons too. I added a option to show only the number of out of date packages, I got the idea from the post http://andreascarpino.it/2011/02/you-ha … -packages/, if anyone have more ideas let me know.

#6 2011-02-15 03:13:57

ralvez
Website

@otsug,

This is the BEST pacman updater ever !! I love it. tongue
It's GUI based ... well ... has a gui based set up  wink and true to the Arch traditions uses the CLI to let the user manage the upgrade.
If you ask me, "the perfect balance".

Thank you for a wonderful contribution.

R

#7 2011-02-15 04:15:02

otsug
Website

ralvez wrote:

@otsug,

This is the BEST pacman updater ever !! I love it. tongue
It's GUI based ... well ... has a gui based set up  wink and true to the Arch traditions uses the CLI to let the user manage the upgrade.
If you ask me, "the perfect balance".

Thank you for a wonderful contribution.

R

big_smile Thank you. I think there is a bug in KDE or Qt, the system tray icon don't show sometimes, but Yapan is still running, this bug is not in Yapan because occurs on the Qt systray example too, I am trying to make a workaround. If anyone have more ideas let me know.

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-15 04:39:29)

#8 2011-02-15 22:41:58

Amnon82
Website

Great job man. Yapan is our default notifier now in Chakra GNU/Linux which is an offspring of Archlinux.

visit chakra-project.org to get latest Chakra GNU/Linux

#9 2011-02-15 22:42:22

ralvez
Website

I do not have that problem and I'm using KDE 4.6
Having said that I did notice that in two of my machines the icon is not animated when there is new software, and remains red ... which I must say I like it better.
To be honest I find the animation a bit annoying and it would be better if it would run for say 10 times and then go solid red. Perhaps an option to "disable tray animation" would be a good addition.

R,

#10 2011-02-15 23:06:37

otsug
Website

Amnon82 wrote:

Great job man. Yapan is our default notifier now in Chakra GNU/Linux which is an offspring of Archlinux.

Wow, I'm aware about the Chakra distribution, that is cool, thank you.

ralvez wrote:

I do not have that problem and I'm using KDE 4.6
Having said that I did notice that in two of my machines the icon is not animated when there is new software, and remains red ... which I must say I like it better.
To be honest I find the animation a bit annoying and it would be better if it would run for say 10 times and then go solid red. Perhaps an option to "disable tray animation" would be a good addition.

R,

That is strange, the animation occurs every 6 seconds, if you open the update terminal the icon stops, you are using the yapan 0.3? I will make more tests. The KDE or Qt bug is completely random, if you close and open yapan several times, sometimes the icon does not appear, is very strange...(and I am not alone). About the disable tray animation, is just a gif, is strange to not animate then, right? I think is better to change to a png or svg, do you think is best to put a checkbox to disable then?

#11 2011-02-16 01:02:04

ralvez
Website

About the disable tray animation, is just a gif, is strange to not animate then, right? I think is better to change to a png or svg, do you think is best to put a checkbox to disable then?

Absolutely.
BTW, you could also put a simple counter and after 10 iterations swap the gif for a png that is just a solid red icon. That should do both things ... 1) get the attention of the user when the updates are first found and then stop and 2) let them know (the icon stays red) that there are updates.

From the point of view of GUI development (I develop software too) blinking items that go forever are usually considered a no,no ... unless of course we are talking missile lunching software where you REALLY want to get the end user attention wink

Now, I'm no authority in the matter but I do subscribe to the idea of "no blinking items" and I mention this only as a constructive criticism. I love the application.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2011-02-16 01:03:38)

#12 2011-02-16 02:10:28

otsug
Website

ralvez wrote:

About the disable tray animation, is just a gif, is strange to not animate then, right? I think is better to change to a png or svg, do you think is best to put a checkbox to disable then?

Absolutely.
BTW, you could also put a simple counter and after 10 iterations swap the gif for a png that is just a solid red icon. That should do both things ... 1) get the attention of the user when the updates are first found and then stop and 2) let them know (the icon stays red) that there are updates.

From the point of view of GUI development (I develop software too) blinking items that go forever are usually considered a no,no ... unless of course we are talking missile lunching software where you REALLY want to get the end user attention wink

Now, I'm no authority in the matter but I do subscribe to the idea of "no blinking items" and I mention this only as a constructive criticism. I love the application.

R.

Criticism, ideas, suggestions are always good smile, I changed the default update gif icon to repeat only 10 times, is difficult to count the repetition in code... but if annoys you, you will update, to stop the gif, right? so mission accomplished cool xD. This gifsicle program is fantastic for gif manipulation. Do you have any problems related to animation in synchronization?

#13 2011-02-16 02:32:05

ralvez
Website

No, I have no problems whatsoever.
That's why I mentioned that I'm using KDE4.6, in case that was the source of the problem.
In my laptop that was running KDE 4.5 up until yesterday I did not experience any problems either.

I have experienced also NO problems with synchronization in any of the 4 machines I use regularly ... so I'm afraid I'm of no help to find the source of the problem wink
BTW... did you upload a new version of Yapan to AUR or you just fixed the blinking icon thing and will make a package later?
I will surely upgrade if you did big_smile

#14 2011-02-16 02:46:25

otsug
Website

ralvez wrote:

No, I have no problems whatsoever.
That's why I mentioned that I'm using KDE4.6, in case that was the source of the problem.
In my laptop that was running KDE 4.5 up until yesterday I did not experience any problems either.

I have experienced also NO problems with synchronization in any of the 4 machines I use regularly ... so I'm afraid I'm of no help to find the source of the problem wink
BTW... did you upload a new version of Yapan to AUR or you just fixed the blinking icon thing and will make a package later?
I will surely upgrade if you did big_smile

I am using the KDE 4.6 too... I only fixed the blincking icon... I am changing other stuff like these weird bugs and I will launch a new version, the tooltip description is much better now, more descriptive...

#15 2011-02-17 11:07:38

DIDI2002

Really nice tool! Is there any way to make this work with notify-osd (Gnome here)?

#16 2011-02-17 16:41:26

otsug
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

Really nice tool! Is there any way to make this work with notify-osd (Gnome here)?

Thank you, I used this notification specification:
http://www.galago-project.org/specs/not … /x408.html
I thought this worked in gnome too...how is the look? the notification does not shown?

Edit: Sorry I thought libnotify == notify-osd, maybe I can make as optional dependence, but I never did this before, so I am not promising anything...

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-18 05:35:17)

#17 2011-02-17 18:14:59

ancleessen4
Website

Loving this, installed on ArchBang+Openbox-just a couple of questions;

1. When an update(s) is found the synch stops until the update(s) is installed and yapan is updated..
Would it be possible to have an option on this so that the app would keep synching until I decide to update after say ,eg. 10 updates available?
Also, shouldn't the app start synching again automatically when updates have been installed?

2. When updates are available it would be nice to launch a terminal straight from the icon...or have the terminal launch and auto pacman -Syu.

#18 2011-02-17 18:44:54

otsug
Website

ancleessen4 wrote:

Loving this, installed on ArchBang+Openbox-just a couple of questions;

big_smile

ancleessen4 wrote:

1. When an update(s) is found the synch stops until the update(s) is installed and yapan is updated..
Would it be possible to have an option on this so that the app would keep synching until I decide to update after say ,eg. 10 updates available?
Also, shouldn't the app start synching again automatically when updates have been installed?

Settings -> General have a option "Stop timer when update is found" if you uncheck yapan will continue to sync forever...
After update Yapan recheck the command pacman -Qu(you can disable this) and restarts the time, when time timeout Yapan Sync again.

ancleessen4 wrote:

2. When updates are available it would be nice to launch a terminal straight from the icon...or have the terminal launch and auto pacman -Syu.

Middle-click in the icon open terminal ^^. You can alter the update command to pacman-Syu in Settings -> Package manager if you want...

#19 2011-02-17 18:54:42

ancleessen4
Website

@otsug-thanks for the info.
Middle-click on the icon does not open a terminal for me...
One thing I forgot to mention;
When I click on the 'General' tab I have to click at the bottom of the tab in order to open the window.
The other tabs do not have this problem...

#20 2011-02-17 19:03:01

otsug
Website

ancleessen4 wrote:

Middle-click on the icon does not open a terminal for me...

Maybe openbox handle this different... if you stop yapan, middle-click restart?

ancleessen4 wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention;
When I click on the 'General' tab I have to click at the bottom of the tab in order to open the window.
The other tabs do not have this problem...

Oo, true, I think is a Qt error, I will see wath I can do.

#21 2011-02-18 01:10:37

otsug
Website

@ancleessen4
Wait, you are using openbox, so you don't have konsole, so you have to change the "Update command to call" in Settings -> Package manager to a terminal you have, I think this is the problem.

I fixed 'General' tab for the next version... thanks.

#22 2011-02-18 12:03:54

DIDI2002

otsug wrote:

I thought this worked in gnome too...how is the look? the notification does not shown?

I thought notify-osd was a drop-in replacement for libnotify, too.
There's no notification showing up with notify-osd (though I can't speak for stock gnome with libnotify).

Would be cool to replace the popup with just sound+notification (e.g. while watching a movie..)

btw:

dbus-launch gnome-terminal -x bash -c "%1; echo && echo --- Finished ---;read"

works for gnome-terminal

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2011-02-18 23:48:24)

#23 2011-02-18 12:21:16

ancleessen4
Website

@otsug (@DIDI2002)-thanks for the "Update command to call" info.
I have this in the field now;

dbus-launch urxvt -e bash -c "%1; echo && echo --- Finished ---"

Looking good!

Last edited by ancleessen4 (2011-02-18 12:22:16)

#24 2011-02-18 16:44:47

otsug
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:
otsug wrote:

I thought notify-osd was a drop-in replacement for libnotify, too.
There's no notification showing up with notify-osd (though I can't speak for stock gnome with libnotify).

Would be cool to replace the popup with just sound+notification (e.g. while watching a movie..)

I can make a option to use something like this:

notify-send "Yapan - Updates available" "You have 5 package(s) out of date" -i emblem-important

this works if you execute this command in terminal? but notify-osd does not have buttons...

@ancleessen4 and @DIDI2002 - thanks for the "Update command to call" infos, I will put those in the wiki.

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-18 16:45:18)

#25 2011-02-18 17:16:43

DIDI2002

otsug, notify-send works fine.
You are right, there are no clickable buttons in notify-osd (Mark shuttleworth: "There should be no actions on notifications.")
It's your call, but I'd prefer notification+sound over popup+sound.

What does 'check after upgrade' in the general tab do?

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2011-02-18 17:17:59)

Board footer