You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-06 16:41:32

AstarothMastemaRavenclaw

Can you dual-boot arch linux with Windows 7 ?

Here is my current dilemna; I have Windows still on my netbook for the only reason that I use it for gaming .
Other than that I have Linux Mint dual-booted with it .

Now my question is, can I just instruct arch to install into the already existing linux partition, formatting it and making it it's home, or do I have to delete it, thus rendering my computer inoperable until I successfully dualboot arch with it ? o_O

Or should I take a different approach altogether, and triple boot my netbook with arch, mint, and windows, and then from there delete the mint partition and allocate the free space accordingly using easeus partition master (another reason I still have windows) ?

Please help . D:

PS. I HATE Windows but only kept it because apparently not everyone shares the Linux view of technology . >.>

Last edited by AstarothMastemaRavenclaw (2011-02-06 16:42:35)

#2 2011-02-06 17:02:06

naequs

Re: Can you dual-boot arch linux with Windows 7 ?

if youre happy with your partition layout u can just install arch ofc.
while installing you will be prompted to select mount points and create filesystems ( you can skip the partition step )
select your current / partition for, well, /
and /home for.. /home.
the installer will then create new filesystems there (formatting those partitions) and set mountpoints

It's by forging that one becomes a blacksmith.

#3 2011-02-06 18:12:03

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Can you dual-boot arch linux with Windows 7 ?

Nothing is stoping you from reusing the partions you have mint on. If you have a seperate /home partion then you don't have to format it btw. REsuing /home works just fine.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer