You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-08 02:16:46

ces

[Solved] Applications Print Postscript Code

Until recently I had a networked printer, a Brother HL-2270DW, installed and working normally.  To achieve this I had created packages based on the Brother proprietary rpms available from the Brother support website and updated the files in the same manner as the post here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109570.

Over the weekend I noticed that when attempting to print from Libreoffice and vim my print output was the Postscript code rather than the document itself.  My printed pages looked like the following:

%%For: ces
%%Creator: VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15)
%%CreationDate: Mon Feb 7 20:40:22 2011
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-ProcSet
%%Title: VIM-Prolog
%%Version: 1.4 1

This continues on for the entire contents of the printed document.

My first thought was that I had heedlessly upgraded cups or a related library or application.  So I rebuilt and reinstalled the Brother packages, and reran the Brother cupswrapper script.  No change.

I finally realized I was in over my head when I found that the lp and the lpr commands behaved normally.  Text files printed with lp and lpr output just as you would expect, and not as the Postscript code.

Key points to note:
- There is no relevant output from attempts to print in /var/logs/cups/error_log even when LogLevel in /etc/cupsd.conf is changed to debug.
- The printer appears normally in the CUPS web interface and can successfully print test pages.
- The output of :set printexpr in VIM is   

printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice) . ' ' . v:fname_in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error

- I have the following packages installed related to CUPS / printing:

local/brother-hl2270dw-cupswrapper 2.0.4-2
    Cups wrapper for HL-2270DW and compatible printers.
local/cups 1.4.6-1
    The CUPS Printing System - deamon package
local/cups-pdf 2.5.0-1
    PDF printer for cups
local/lib32-libcups 1.4.5-1
    The CUPS Printing System - client libraries (32-bit)
local/libcups 1.4.6-1
    The CUPS Printing System - client libraries and headers
local/ghostscript 9.00-4
    An interpreter for the PostScript language
local/gsfonts 1.0.7pre44-2
    Ghostscript standard Type1 fonts from URW
local/foomatic-filters 4.0.6_20101215-1
    Foomatic - Filter scripts used by the printer spoolers to convert the incoming PostScript data into the printer's native format.
local/a2ps 4.14-1
    a2ps is an Any to PostScript filter
local/brother-hl2270dw-lpr 2.1.0-1
    LPR driver for HL-2270DW and compatible printers.
local/glproto 1.4.12-1
    X11 OpenGL extension wire protocol
local/psutils 1.17-2
    A set of postscript utilities

Does anyone have any idea what might cause behaviour like this?  I will be happy to post any configuration files that could be of interest, or try any other methods of troubleshooting.

Last edited by ces (2011-03-19 20:46:51)

#2 2011-03-19 20:50:59

ces

Re: [Solved] Applications Print Postscript Code

I finally found a solution for this problem.  It is described in the post by stopstop here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113962

The TL;DR version: an update to 'file' broke the Brother printer drivers.  File was no longer recognizing postscript files correctly.  Rolling the version of file back to 5.04 cleared up all my issues.

Board footer