You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-09 15:04:55

SanskritFritz
Website

Virtual console disappears (black screen) on exit from X

Fresh 64bit archlinux install, just X (Nvidia proprietary driver), Openbox, Compiz, Pekwm using startx. After startx openbox or compiz or pekwm work ok, and I can switch to vc1 by pressing ctrl-alt-F1. However, when I exit X, I expect to return to vc1, but all I get is a black screen. Neither alt-F1 or ctrl-alt-F1, even Alt-sysrq-K cannot bring vt back. Ctrl-alt-del works, it cleanly restarts the box. The same box has a 32bit arch (dual boot), several years old, never had that problem.
Any ideas, why this is happening?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2 2011-02-09 15:10:18

Cub69
Website

Re: Virtual console disappears (black screen) on exit from X

I found my VC's were accessible with ctrl-alt-f4 and not f1.  I'm also running Arch 64-bit and it was different from my 32-bit install.  Just a thought -

#3 2011-02-09 16:33:56

SanskritFritz
Website

Cub69 wrote:

I found my VC's were accessible with ctrl-alt-f4 and not f1.  I'm also running Arch 64-bit and it was different from my 32-bit install.  Just a thought -

Well, I tried all 6 possibilities, with and without ctrl. And, of course, my 64 bit install is different form the 32 bit install. Formerly I used Kdm-KDE4, now compiz. I had HAL and several daemons running, now nearly nothing.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#4 2011-02-09 16:55:45

metzengerstein

Logs (especially Xorg)?

#5 2011-02-09 23:48:45

SanskritFritz
Website

Right, forgot to mention, I found nothing in the logs that could be relevant.

http://aur.pastebin.com/S3p48Hy3

Also one probably important difference between the new 64 bit and the old 32 bit install: this new one doesnt switch on framebuffer display during boot, meanwhile the old does.

#6 2011-02-10 10:23:12

metzengerstein

Try terminating X at vc and see if you get some (meaningful) error message.

#7 2011-02-10 11:47:42

SanskritFritz
Website

metzengerstein wrote:

Try terminating X at vc and see if you get some (meaningful) error message.

When I terminate X with ctrl-c, I get the normal messages about the killed session, nothing special there. More importantly, the console remains intact. So, while this could be a workaround, I want to use Slim, and there is no ctrl-c.

SanskritFritz wrote:

Also one probably important difference between the new 64 bit and the old 32 bit install: this new one doesnt switch on framebuffer display during boot, meanwhile the old does.

This made me actually try the framebuffer mode, and voilá, this way it works. If only the framebuffer mode weren't so unbearably slow... so, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, does anyone know why it is so slow? And why can't I set the native resolution of my monitor (1440x900; GeForce 7300 GS)? Nouveau is out of question, it freezes my computer completely at boot.

#8 2011-02-10 19:55:08

SanskritFritz
Website

Could be this the cause?
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29920
My .xinitrc contains the following:
exec ck-launch-session ~/.start_compiz.sh

#9 2011-02-10 22:07:03

metzengerstein

Why not trying to isolate the problem with a simple config, e.g. first "exec pekwm", then "exec ~/.start_compiz.sh" etc.
Afaik ck-launch-session is only useful in conjuction with hal, so maybe you don't need it.

#10 2011-02-10 22:49:45

SanskritFritz
Website

Can someone confirm that ck-launch-session is not needed? I dont have HAL installed.

Board footer