You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-01 18:44:18

cbarnes913

login prompt / "last login" / agetty

I've been searching around for a little while trying to figure out how to get rid of that "last login" message right after the login prompt.  I finally found an answer, and then I realized Arch uses agetty instead of getty.  I know that getty looks for .hushlogin in your home directory and supresses system messages if it finds it.  As far as I can tell, agetty doesn't do this.  I found some options in the /etc/login.defs file for a hushlogin file, but it doesn't seem to work.

I would also like to change the login prompt, which can be done in getty using the /etc/gettydefs file, but agetty ignores this file, according to man agetty.

Can anybody help me do this?  I am not attached to agetty by any means.  If changing to getty would solve my problem, I would do that.

Any suggestions?

#2 2005-04-01 18:48:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: login prompt / "last login" / agetty

the login prompt is in /etc/issue I think... that sounds right...

#3 2005-04-02 22:07:52

cbarnes913

issue is just like a prelogin motd.  The only thing I have in issue is a clear screen, and motd is empty.  I was looking at this site:
http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. … &pageid=70

It talks about the login process.  To sum it up quick (to my understanding):
* init spawns getty
* getty displays login prompt
* getty calls login with the user info
* login calls the shell
* the shell goes from there and displays a prompt

That means to change the "last login" part of the login process, I have to configure login or something after it.  I will take another look at login.defs.  Otherwise it would have to be the shell, which doesn't seem right.  Anybody using something other than bash and still getting the last login screen?

As for the login prompt itself:
Since the login information is being given by getty (or in the case of arch, agetty) to login, getty (agetty) has to be the program to configure to change the login prompt.  For getty there are one or two configuration files, but for agetty there aren't, as far as I can tell.  In fact "man agetty" talks about how it doesn't use those configuration files.  But I fail to see how to configure it after reading the man page.

Any ideas from there?

#4 2005-04-04 14:42:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah, agetty just passes things over to "/bin/login" once it spits out /etc/issue...
http://www.hmug.org/man/1/login.html

so getty/agetty doesn't matter (unless agetty is using the -I switch... which is for a non-standard login prog)... login is what looks for ".hushlogin"

Board footer