You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-10 17:52:59

ichase

{SOLVED} Unable to setup wireless networking

I’m frustrated that I have to ask for help on this one.  I have followed the Arch wiki, downloaded the appropriate driver, and extracted the firmware with b43-fwcutter. 

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux
b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o

No failures or messages stating anything other than successful.  I added the driver to my MODULES in my /etc/rc.conf.  and blacklisted the one I do not need to prevent conflict per the wiki.

MODULES=(. . . !b43legacy b43. . .)

I have set up wifi with no problem on 4 other distros on this same lappy.  UE 2.8, Mandriva 2010.0-2, Pinguy as well as Mint Julia.  I am currently multibooting with XP Pro, Arch and Mandriva 2010.2 (Wireless works great in both XP and Mandriva) The chip set for my wireless is:  BCM4318

ifconfig wlan0 up

then

ifconfig

brings up eth0, lo, and wlan0 so I know it recognizes there is a wifi card installed.
When I run

iwlist wlan0 scan

I get something along the lines of Interface does not support scanning, network down.  (Network is not down I confirmed this)
I installed wireless-tools during the initial installation by selecting it from the available packages but can’t seem to find it as an available program to use.  When I search the Wiki for “Wireless-tools” there is not a wiki for it but in the Wireless management section of the Wireless Setup wiki it states:

Note: If it displays "Interface does not support scanning" then you probably forgot to install the firmware. You can also try bringing up the interface first as shown in point 1.

Well I know I did not forget to install the firmware.  The firmware installed fine.  I further read that If my encryption is WPA/WPA2 I need to edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file with my ESSID and passkey.  I did that.  It then states to run the following command:

# wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then states

This is assuming your device uses the wext driver.

Now this is the first time I have seen ANYTHING about a “WEXT” driver and pretty sure I am not using one of those.

Other things I have read is download Madwifi, Wicd or Wifi Radar.  Have not done this as of yet.

I have tried not to ask for help as I am truly of the mind set of figuring it out on my own by doing my own research so that I do not come off as a “Help Junkie” for lack of a better phrase.  I have almost everything set up, boots into KDE in about 10 seconds from the time I turn the lappy on.  Want to get the wireless working so I can get everything else set up the way I want it.  Ultimately wanted to achieve all of this WITHOUT asking for help but here I am.  I truly appreciate your help.

All the best,

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2011-02-14 15:58:22)

#2 2011-02-10 18:50:17

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: {SOLVED} Unable to setup wireless networking

Just to be sure, you did issue that iwlist command as root?

I'm not sure that you need the firmware cutter, have you tried the broadcom-wl package from the AUR?

And are you positive that your card is not supported by one of the kernel drivers (b43 or brcm80211)?

Oh and welcome to the forums! smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-02-10 19:02:46

ichase

Thank you very much for the warm welcome litemotiv  smile

I did issue iwlist as root.  The BCM4318 is supported by the b43 driver.  I have seen where setting up the wireless with this chipset is quite different in Arch then it is on the other distros I have (and currently am) running.
I am sure this is something I am doing wrong and not a problem with the card.  I have very limited ethernet opportunity so outside of getting the KDE environment installed and DLing the driver IAW the Wiki I need to have wireless to continue on.  I have already learned more about Linux, installing and reading about Arch then I have on all of my other installs combined.  So I can definitely see me as being an Arch user for life.  smile
Thank you very much for responding and offering your time to help me.

All the best,

Ian

#4 2011-02-10 20:13:29

Gusar

Madwifi is for atheros cards (so not relevant for you), and if you can't get wpa_supplicant and iwlist working then wicd or wifi-radar won't help, they're merely frontends.

As far as I can see you did everything correct. I followed the same procedure, but for a BCM4306/2 card with the b43legacy driver, and it worked. You could try the broadcom-wl driver, but there should be no need, your card is definitely supported by b43.

It's a shot in the dark, but post dmesg output after the unsuccessful scan attempt. Who knows, maybe it'll give a clue as to what is wrong. Another shot in the dark, try with -Dnl80211 with wpa_supplicant, though it should work with -Dwext too. Also, start wpa_supplicant without -B, this way it'll give you some output on what it's doing.

#5 2011-02-11 14:47:09

ichase

Gusar,
Thank you for the great advice as it definitely gives me food for thought.  I have been thoroughly reading up on wpa_supplicant in the wiki and thinking this route may very well be what I need.
I also read where entering:

# dmesg | grep firmware

would give me an output showing if the firmware was actually installed correctly.  Though everything seemed to be fine when I did, it's seems like a good idea to make sure.  smile

Hopefully I can get this up and running.  I refuse to wave the white flag of defeat.  smile

All the best and I hope everyone reading this has a great weekend,

Ian

#6 2011-02-14 11:25:44

iTwenty
Website

On my laptop, there is a separate button that toggles WiFi on/off. If I set it to off, it gives me the same message as you get:
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
Might be worth checking into.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#7 2011-02-14 15:18:27

ichase

iTwenty, thank you for the response.  I seem to have fixed the problem and I think I know what I had done wrong.  I re-installed Arch on Saturday and realized that I may have installed the wrong Driver.  In reading through the wiki, there is a newer driver for the updated Kernel.  Once I installed that and extracted it with the b43-fwcutter and performed ifconfig wlan0 up, my wifi light came on.  Installed KDE again then Wicd and now Wicd comes up when I log in and connects to my router.
Now the one thing that I have that I need to do more reading on, is when I am booting up, verbose stops at Networking and hangs for about 45 seconds then FAILs.  I'm thinking with the wireless set up that I may need to go into my /etc/rc.conf and comment out the networking section.

Either way, this post can be set to {SOLVED}  trying to figure out how to do that on my own.

All the best,

Ian

#8 2011-02-14 15:50:50

iTwenty
Website

Since you are using wicd, you can safely put a ! in front of network in DAEMONS array in rc.conf to prevent it from loading altogether.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#9 2011-02-14 15:54:27

ichase

DUH!!!!   I knew that.  smile  Also, do you know how I can mark this post as "SOLVED" or does a moderator need to do that?

Thanks again,

Ian

#10 2011-02-14 15:55:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Edit the first post in the thread.

#11 2011-02-14 15:58:43

ichase

Thanks Tom  wink

All the best,