You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-10 23:00:23

kevr
Website

[RESOLVED] Rearranging Hard Disks -- (with Windows 7 and Arch)

Hey guys. I've run into a bit of a problem, well not too horrific of a problem but it'd be nice to get it fixed up. Originally on Arch, I had installed with 4 primary partitions: /dev/sda1 as /boot, /dev/sda2 as / (root), /dev/sda3 as /home, and /dev/sda4 as swap. I recently installed Windows 7, which forced a primary partition out of me so I deleted the swap and formatted it for Windows 7. I have 3.30GB of space left over at the end.. I was saving it for swap after the Windows 7. But I can't seem to get /dev/sda1 to correctly extend for me so I can setup a 230MB /boot and a 3GB swap as logical.

The layout:
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3
/dev/sda2 / ext3
/dev/sda3 /home ext3
/dev/sda4 HPS/NTFS Windows 7
3.30GB unallocated

I just tried deleting /dev/sda1 /boot with files backed up, and turned /dev/sda1 into extended, then created a /boot and swap as logical - but when I tried to reboot it gave me a Grub error 17. Yes, I changed the fstab mounts and menu.lst entries as needed, but it still gave me the error. Weirdly, I couldn't setup /dev/sda1 as a primary ext3 boot with enough space after that - but then I rebooted into the arch live cd again and it allowed me to set it up (weirdly, after I reformatted /dev/sda1 /boot through fdisk, all the files were restored as originally by themselves.)

If anyone has any ideas, they're greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time Arch community.

Edit: Apparently I had to grub-install outside of chroot on the livecd, sorry for anyone who wasted their time reading this. It's been resolved. Thank you anyways smile

Last edited by kevr (2011-02-10 23:14:34)

Kevin Morris <kevr@0cost.org>

Hangs out in #archlinux-aurweb. Loves the AUR.

#2 2011-02-14 08:07:07

mandog

Re: [RESOLVED] Rearranging Hard Disks -- (with Windows 7 and Arch)

You can not an extended partition with existing partitions after it so you need to start again also win7 is always better on the 1st partition and need 2 partitions 100mb for boot then 40/50gb min for win7 use the rest as extended the you can put as many other partitions as you wish.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

Board footer