You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-11 01:02:52

cksmuck

gdm-greeter

Can anyone tell me how to configure the gdm-greeter and splash screen. I have installed the gdm2setup but when I run it as sudo or root I cannot get it to change the background on the gdm command. I also installed gnome-art-ng and when I try to install a new gdm-greeter it tells me "Installation is not possible!-No /etc/gdm/gdm.conf available". ...and it's right. There is no /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file listed. Is this a legacy issue?

#2 2011-02-14 14:13:56

cksmuck

Re: gdm-greeter

Well.....No Bites??? I'll answer this one myself. From a little more investigation I found that gdm2 does not have all the bells and whistles worked out yet and if you bring up the Login Manager (gdm2setup) it tells you that on the blanked out tabs it provides on the gui. It doesn't have this capability yet. I had to remove gdm2setup and installed gdm-old from the AUR and VOILA!!!...I could change themes for the login from the OLD command gdmsetup. Now I am trying to figure out how to change the /etc/gdm/custom.conf to a /etc/gdm/gdm.conf so that gnome-art-ng will be able to change my themes as well.....Any Ideas???

#3 2011-02-14 15:13:20

toad
Website

Ah, gnome as we love and hate it. KDM is of course very easily configurable, just edit kdmrc

Sorry, no flaming intended and glad you got it sorted.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#4 2011-02-14 15:17:56

anonymous_user

@cksmuck - you know that the way GDM 2.28+ is themed is completely different than the old GDM right?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gn … g_gdm_2.28

#5 2011-02-14 17:41:43

cksmuck

Yes I do...and that was the problem (for me anyway). I was tring to use gnome-art-ng to install some of the really nice login splash screens but there was no /etc/gdm/gdm.conf available for the program to install new themes to. However, even going with the gdm-old there still is no /etc/gdm/gdm.conf because the configuration file is now called custom.conf which the install process from gnome-art-ng does not recognize...

Board footer