You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-12 07:41:40

greatant

Compiling fvwm-patched with XFT support

I'm pretty new to Linux. Only spent 2 weeks playing with a minimal Ubuntu install before jumping over to Arch a couple months ago.

I'm compiling/installing fvwm-patched from the AUR. I'm using yaourt and I'm even editing the PKGBUILD to use the latest fvwm source, and dropping a patch that is no longer needed due to changes in fvwm itself. The problem is the resulting compiled fvwm doesn't have XFT font support.

I found this in an FAQ:

cf13. I compiled FVWM from source, and now none of my XFT fonts are working. They work fine under other window managers.

You're an idiot. You probably didn't compile in XFT support. FVWM needs this to render XFT fonts. If the command:
fvwm --version | sed -n 2p

... doesn't have "XFT" listed in its options, then install the XFT header files (libxft-dev, if you're on Debian) and recompile FVWM.

I'm not sure how to get these xft header files on Arch. I already have libxft installed and I can't find anything in packages or AUR that looks the equivalent of libxft-dev.

Anyone know which direction to point me in?
Cheers.

#2 2011-02-13 04:45:35

anonymous_user

Re: Compiling fvwm-patched with XFT support

Does fvwm-devel work with xft fonts? If you do need all the patches however then maybe try finding newer versions of them that work with the latest fvwm.

#3 2011-02-13 12:12:15

greatant

As far as I understand it fvwm-devel is a regular package (not from AUR) and is thus pre-compiled and has XFT support. (yes it works)

The patches work fine as far as I can tell. I'm not having any issues with them. I'm just not sure where to get the "xft header files" mentioned in the FAQ I quoted.

Last edited by greatant (2011-02-13 12:20:41)

#4 2011-02-13 14:00:16

anonymous_user

Unless something is wrong with the package, libxft should already have the headers and whatnot.

#5 2011-02-13 14:57:11

greatant

I'm thinking that maybe libxft doesn't come with the source as part of the package, so no header files.

I may be misunderstanding what header files are though. They're those .h files you see with .cpp or .c files right? (atleast when it's a c or c++ source)

#6 2011-02-14 02:54:43

greatant

I've been comparing the debian packages libxft2 and libxft-dev and they look identical. So I'm not sure why libxft-dev would be needed at all.

I have both Xft.h and XftCompat.h in my /usr/include/X11/Xft directory. I assume these are the header files being talked about.

Board footer