You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-12 15:38:09

crowfaceltd

Best partition scheme for a tiny SSD?

I was heavily into arch about a year ago, but my gaming habits pulled me back to windows (grrrr).

Now that I have an ssd I thought it was time to give arch another whirl.

I have the following. 30gb SSD and 160gb HDD, how can I manage the partition so that the ssd doesn't run out of space?

I was going to have /home /tmp etc. on hdd and / on ssd, but wont all my programs be on the ssd then? that's not ideal with the lack of space...

The above post was a crowfaceltd production

#2 2011-02-12 16:26:37

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Best partition scheme for a tiny SSD?

On the ssd I would go 100mb /boot, 10-20gb /, and the rest for /home. Exact size would depend on exactly what you want to install, you can easily run a dekstop with only 5-6gb used, and you could also easily end up with 20gb of apps installed smile. And ofcourse mount the hdd somewhere under /home or /media or whatever you like.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-02-12 16:29:54

MadTux

I would say that / and maybe /boot should be on the SSD, /var /tmp and /home should go to the HDD. 30GB are plenty of space for /, but I don't know what applications you intend to install.

Maybe this helps:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD

Last edited by MadTux (2011-02-12 16:30:27)

#4 2011-02-12 16:36:44

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

crowfaceltd, there are many forum threads about partitioning, as well as a number of wiki pages. Please search and make your own decisions, partitioning is primarily a subjective decision based on how much applications you want to keep installed concurrently. The only thing important is the size of your root partition, you have to make sure that you have at least 5GB for a minimal system, 10GB if you want to run a full desktop environment.

Closing this thread for duplication.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer