You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-14 23:02:28

big_gie

NetworkManager applet stopped connecting

I updated a couple of days my eeepc but I now cannot connect to wireless networks using nm-applet anymore under XFCE 4.8.

Before, I could just select any wifi network, and I would see the animated icon showing nm was doing something.

Now, I click on the wifi network in the list, but nothing happens. No connection is established and there is no icon animation.

I just can't find anything in logs. Sometimes, restarting NetworkManager seems to fix this...

What could be wrong? Anybody else have this issue?

#2 2011-02-15 05:31:49

andrewthomas

Re: NetworkManager applet stopped connecting

How are you starting Xfce?

Start Xfce
Use this command in .xinitrc to launch Xfce

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session startxfce4

or

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xfce4-session 

If that is OK, then

Create the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pkla and add yourself into the plugdev group

[nm-applet]
Identity=unix-group:plugdev
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/andrewthomas/

#3 2011-02-15 06:42:51

sultanoswing

It's a new security feature of the new version of consolekit (0.4.3). You can downgrade back to 0.4.1, or try one of the several workarounds. There are several recent threads on this here under network and also in the upgrade sub-forum.

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#4 2011-02-15 18:42:31

big_gie

andrewthomas wrote:

How are you starting Xfce?

I was initially using "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" in .xinitrc and:
x:5:respawn:/bin/su nicolas -c '-l' '/usr/bin/startx > /dev/null 2>&1'
in /etc/inittab

I tried replacing the xinitrc with "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session startxfce4" but I'm getting the same results.

If I launch nm-applet with sudo, everything works fine as expected. So it's really a permission problem... I tried adding myself to plugdev but that group does not exists on my machine.

I though it migth have been because I've set to "all users" the WPA and open wifi I'm trying to connect, but even with an unknown network it does not work...

@sultanoswing
Thanks for the hint. I don't have access to 0.4.1 for now... Any other hint?

Thanks!

#5 2011-02-15 19:05:34

andrewthomas

If you don't have the plugdev group ( and don't care to make it, ) then just insert your username where I used your_username and it should work.

Create the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pkla and add yourself into the plugdev group

[nm-applet]
Identity=unix-user:your_username
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

#6 2011-02-15 19:22:23

big_gie

Thanks andrewthomas, creating the file and creating + adding myself to the plugdev group fixed this. I can connect through vpn and manage the connections with nm-applet!
Why should this file be created?? Why nm cannot add it itself?

When I launch nm-applet from the command line, I get these repeated many times:

** Message: secret service operation failed: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files

Any serious issue?
I also get this when connecting to the vpn:

** (nm-applet:15974): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'VpnState' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4: (9) Interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Connection" isn't exported (or may not exist), can't access property "VpnState"

** (nm-applet:15974): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'VpnState' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4: (9) Interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Connection" isn't exported (or may not exist), can't access property "VpnState"

** (nm-applet:15974): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Banner' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4: (9) Interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Connection" isn't exported (or may not exist), can't access property "Banner"

Is anything wrong?

Thanks!

#7 2011-02-15 22:40:38

andrewthomas

How do you autostart nm-applet?

instead of

nm-applet --sm-disable 

try

(sleep 3 && /usr/bin/nm-applet --sm-disable) & 

#8 2011-02-16 13:22:01

big_gie

I'm normally starting nm-applet via the XFCE way of starting applications at login, can't remember the name. I think I did not set "--sm-disable" though. Was the shortcut installed automatically? Maybe, I can't remember...

When I posted nm-applet's output, I was already logged in, killed the existing nm-applet and then launch it from the terminal to see the output. So adding a sleep wouldn't change much...

#9 2011-04-27 14:40:48

DShad

Have you had any luck with this issue?

Cause I've been experiencing the same problem when trying to get a wireless connection and none of this thread helped me so far...

Thank you for your help.

Board footer