You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-15 04:15:48

Hilariousity

various problems building kernel26-pentium-m 2.6.36.2-1

Hi Everybody!
I'm using arch linux on a laptop with a celeron M processor and would like to take the laptop with me to various places without having the battery dying within 20 minutes so I'm trying to install various power management solutions on my laptop. I've heard that one of the most important power management solutions for linux is cpufrequencyutils. However my processor does not support cpufrequencyutils but it does support an obsolete version called speedstep-centrino. In order to use speedstep-centrino I need to compile an obsolete kernel from the AUR which can be found here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33104

So I downloaded the kernel and waited hours for it to compile and recieved an error stating

==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging other files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Adding install script...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Starting package_kernel26-pentium-m-headers()...
==> Building kernel headers...
cp: cannot stat `drivers/media/video/zc0301/*.h': No such file or directory
    Aborting...

So makepkg -s can apparently not find the headers for zc0301 but I did happen to find the package zc0301 here: http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/m … .php?cid=8

the problem with this source code be that it won't compile either. I get the error :

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/home/joe/Downloads/zc0301-1.10 modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.37-ARCH/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2

In summary: I can't build the obsolete kernel that I would like to install and I can't seem to compile the dependency that it says that I need either.

I also have a couple of other problems that I would like to go over. After I get the error while trying to compile the kernel, I try to rebuild the kernel with makepkg over again and I get the error:

makepkg -s
==> ERROR: Part of the package group has already been built. (use -f to overwrite)

I have  tried the -f option and I obtain the output

==> Making package: kernel26-pentium-m 2.6.36.2-1 (Mon Feb 14 22:04:29 CST 2011)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Found linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2
  -> Found patch-2.6.36.2-1-ARCH.bz2
  -> Found 2.6.36-zen1.patch.lzma
  -> Found speedstep-centrino.patch
  -> Found config
  -> Found kernel26-pentium-m.preset
  -> Found mkinitcpio-kernel26-pentium-m.conf
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2 ... Passed
    patch-2.6.36.2-1-ARCH.bz2 ... Passed
    2.6.36-zen1.patch.lzma ... Passed
    speedstep-centrino.patch ... Passed
    config ... Passed
    kernel26-pentium-m.preset ... Passed
    mkinitcpio-kernel26-pentium-m.conf ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
  -> Extracting linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2 with bsdtar
  -> Extracting patch-2.6.36.2-1-ARCH.bz2 with bzip2
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
  -> Applying the ZEN patch (2.6.36-zen1)
    Aborting...

So now it aborts without telling me why. The only solution I have found for not recieving this output is to delete the kernel directory untar the gzip file and start all over again. Is their any way to resume building a kernel after a failed build without having to recompile everything?

Finally and most importantly are there any decent speedstep-centrino alternatives for power management so I don't have to pull my hair out trying to build obsolete software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 2011-02-15 05:01:36

andrewthomas

Re: various problems building kernel26-pentium-m 2.6.36.2-1

You probably don't need that driver. You can edit the PKGBUILD to get rid of the part that is creating the error.

In this section

# add headers for lirc package
  mkdir -p ${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/drivers/media/video
  cp drivers/media/video/*.h  ${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/drivers/media/video/
  for i in bt8xx cpia2 cx25840 cx88 em28xx et61x251 pwc saa7134 sn9c102 usbvideo zc0301; do
   mkdir -p ${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/drivers/media/video/$i
   cp -a drivers/media/video/$i/*.h ${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/drivers/media/video/$i
  done

change

for i in bt8xx cpia2 cx25840 cx88 em28xx et61x251 pwc saa7134 sn9c102 usbvideo zc0301; do

to

for i in bt8xx cpia2 cx25840 cx88 em28xx et61x251 pwc saa7134 sn9c102 usbvideo; do

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/andrewthomas/

#3 2011-02-15 07:11:17

stqn
Website

Re: various problems building kernel26-pentium-m 2.6.36.2-1

I've used this AUR package on my previous computer... You could try something else: use abs to get the official kernel's PKGBUILD ("abs core/kernel26"), "makepkg -o" to download and unpack the sources, then patch speedstep-centrino.c yourself and build it directly using make.

To be honest I don't know how to build a single module with the kernel makefile. Worst case, you'll have to build the whole kernel (or at least all the modules with "make modules" I think), in which case I suggest using "make localmodconfig" first to cut down on the compilation time)... You'll also have to enable speedstep-centrino in "make menuconfig" before compiling (and after localmodconfig). Then copy speedstep-centrino.ko into your modules' directory, "depmod -a" (I believe it's needed but I'm not sure), and it should work... maybe. smile

Board footer