You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-15 23:51:23

bruno321

[SOLVED] Kernel panic after full upgrade - Root device doesn't exist

After doing a full upgrade which included a kernel upgrade, when I boot I get this:

:: Running Hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...done
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/AAA
Root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/AAA' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/AAA'
You are being dropped to a recovery shell

where AAA is the long chain of characters. I have no idea what to do, I have found some similar problems in this forum but I am unable to follow them (I'm more of a newbie). For instance, the "recovery shell" I get dropped to seems to be kind of useless.

EDIT: Okay, after googling a while, it seems booting with the boot CD is useful. I put the CD, used the option to boot an existing installation, and after changing the options I got it to boot. I used /boot/kernel26-fallback.img , but the problem persists!

Last edited by bruno321 (2011-02-16 01:24:02)

#2 2011-02-16 01:23:23

bruno321

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic after full upgrade - Root device doesn't exist

Okay, here's how I solved it, in case it serves someone in the future.

I booted the Arch Linux Boot CD, and used 'chroot' to log into my existing install (as per the 'chroot' article on the wiki).

Then, I downgraded mkinitcpio and kernel26 (as per the 'downgrading packages' article on the wiki). I had to downgrade a couple of other packages too to meet dependencies.

And that did it. What I had tried earlier was to use, instead of chroot, the option available on the boot CD menu to boot into an existing installation, but to no avail since there the error persisted.

Last edited by bruno321 (2011-02-16 01:24:24)

Board footer