You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-16 13:53:39

ichase

{SOLVED} Wicd works in KDE but not in Enlightenment

Greetings all,
I searched the Wiki as well as Google for this issue and though I have found a few random forum questions pop up, none of them reflected the issue that I am having.
I have both KDE and Enlightenment installed.  Easy to switch between the two of them but I like Enlightenment more and want to use it.  Problem I have is, when I first ran Enlightenment, it prompts you with a selection of various programs to install.  Amongst others, I chose Wicd because that is what I having up and running great in my KDE desktop.
When I click on Wicd in Enlightenment, I automatically get an error stating that Wicd error cannot connect to dbus.  When I run ifconfig wlan0 up, my wireless light came on and I know that it is working but I still get the same error.  It also states that no error was put in the log so there is nothing for me to look at and investigate.  When I go back in and log in with KDE, Wicd comes up, asks me for my password and alas I have a good connection to my router.

Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated.

All the best,

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2011-02-17 12:56:23)

#2 2011-02-16 14:17:53

mcmillan

Re: {SOLVED} Wicd works in KDE but not in Enlightenment

How are you starting enlightenment?

#3 2011-02-16 14:24:02

ichase

Good Morning mcmillan,
I select Arch on my grub menu and then I log in as user and type startx.  Now that just got me to thinking.  I never did try logging in as Root and seeing if it would work?  Hmmmmmm  Think it would matter?

Ian

#4 2011-02-16 14:54:20

FarmerF

Running wicd in E17 without any problems here.

Few questions:

How do you start the wicd server? I put wicd in my rc.conf deamons array. (relevant part: dbus !networkmanager wicd @netfs)
How do you start the wicd-client? I use wicd-client -n (because I do not use the notification module)
As for starting e17 i use a .xinit with "exec /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment_start"

Other than that I would think that not being able to use dbus is a rights problem (I use dbus but no hal)

Lastly when does the problem occur? on starting the client/server/connecting etc?

#5 2011-02-16 15:02:46

ichase

Greetings FarmerF,
I start by selecting wicd in my "internet" list of programs.  In other words, I select the icon.  In KDE wicd automatically comes up and prompts me for my password.  Would like to get that happening in E17 as well
I don't have wicd in my DAEMONS list in my /etc/rc.conf file because it autostarts in KDE.  But it might be a good idea to add it.  wink
I have "exec ck-launch-session start_enlightenment" in my .xinitrc file.  I just uncomment it and comment my KDE then in my DAEMONS of my rc.conf I blacklist KDE so it does not attempt to start.

I have both dbus and hal installed and both are listed in my DAEMONS

It only occurs once I manually start wicd.  As previously mentioned, when I type ifconfig wlan0 up the wifi light comes on.  Strange.  smile

Ian

#6 2011-02-16 15:16:50

FarmerF

Ah ok, I think your problem is that you do no start the wicd server but kde does this for you. After this the client can not connect.
Try to start wicd with

sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd start 

Once started try the icon again to see if that helps.

If you do not have the systray module and a systray shelf the icon will probably still fail. Either add the systray module and add it to a shelf or change the icon from

/usr/bin/wicd-client

to

/usr/bin/wicd-client -n

Ps. you might want to add wicd-client to your auto start applications. Settings > settings panel > apps > startup applications

Last edited by FarmerF (2011-02-16 15:23:01)

#7 2011-02-16 15:21:52

ichase

Thanks FarmerF,
I will most definitely be trying this tonight.  I really like Enlightenment and want to use it over the more heavy KDE.  smile

All the best,

Ian

#8 2011-02-16 15:23:53

FarmerF

Sure np, I wish you much luck as E17 is the absolute best WM out there. *cue flamewars*

#9 2011-02-16 15:28:30

ichase

If you do not have the systray module and a systray shelf the icon will probably still fail. Either add the systray module and add it to a shelf

Just to make sure I am doing this correctly.  I am brand new to E17, how exactly would I add a systray module and add it to a shelf?

Thanks,

Ian

#10 2011-02-16 16:01:05

FarmerF

Depends a bit on where you got your e17. I personally prefer the easy_e17.sh script which will let you build any modules with it.

If you got e from the e-svn package I think the module is already in there just not active per se. check Settings > modules then on the utilities tab you should see a systray module. If its not active activate it. Choose a shelf where you want tray apps (i.e. not minimized but closed with an icon still active)  to reside and right click the shelf. shelf > contents and add the module.

The biggest fun with e17 is tweaking it to do exactly what you want and nothing you don't so start adding and removing modules to your hearts content and see what happens. In the worst case just remove your ~/.e directory for a fresh start.

Last edited by FarmerF (2011-02-16 16:02:52)

#11 2011-02-16 16:07:47

ichase

Great smile
I installed by using #pacman -S e-svn then # pacman -S e17-extra-svn.  As I am new to the world of Linux.  My first install was in October of last year.  Mandriva 2010.0, I am really wanting to start learning the fine art of "Compiling"  It seems that this is the best way to do just about anything and you can't truly learn Linux with out knowing how to "compile"

I have read that Enlightenment's preferred network manager is Connman and that you should add it to the DAEMONS after dbus and hal.  May be giving that a try as well.  wink

Thanks for the great advice,

All the best,

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2011-02-16 16:50:05)

#12 2011-02-17 12:59:46

ichase

FarmerF,
Great call. 

sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd start 

worked even better than I think you thought it would.  As soon as I selected "enter"....I got a message stating DONE, and there was a monitor on my shelf showing 90% connection to my router.  Read my wireless_supplicant.conf, got my ESSID and my Passkey lickity split.  wink

Also started playing with the modules last night as well.  The more time I spend on Enlightenment the more I think I am NEVER going back to KDE. 

One quick question.  With the fact that I did not compile E17 but got it directly from the repos, will it still auto update or will I have to do this manually.

Thanks for the great advice,

All the best,

Ian

Last edited by ichase (2011-02-17 13:01:58)

#13 2011-02-23 11:25:59

FarmerF

Glad to be of service. As for your update question:

The repo's will auto update, but only after the maintainer adds a new version which may or may not be enough for you.
The source builds do not auto update. You have to choose when to update and to what revision.

Imho as long as you are happy with the repo version stay there. Where you feel you miss new features, run into bugs or just want to feel more up to date add the e17 version. Be sure to backup your ~/.e folder though as switching from and to a different e17 version might destroy any configurations you had.

Board footer