You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-17 20:43:33

krej

Pacman always downloads corrupt packages.

I just installed Arch Linux 2010.05 and tried to run pacman -Syu, but there is a few packages that always get corrupted when it downloads them, so pacman stops running and nothing gets updated.

I've been changing mirrors for a while now hoping that it was just a mirror that's messed up, but it's always the same packages and I've gone through like 10 or so mirrors. I tried manually downloading one of the packages(the latest version of glibc) and running pacman -U on it, but I get the same error.

Why is it doing this, and how can I fix it? I'm connected directly to my router with an ethernet cable, so I don't think it's a problem with my connection or anything.

#2 2011-02-17 21:07:43

loafer

Re: Pacman always downloads corrupt packages.

Which packages and which mirror(s) are the culprits?

Are you 100% sure the mirrors are up-to-date?

https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus

Can you install any packages with pacman?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2011-02-18 00:42:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

So...  did you get a missing library error and make a symlink for liblzma?

#4 2011-02-18 01:00:04

krej

loafer wrote:

Which packages and which mirror(s) are the culprits?

Are you 100% sure the mirrors are up-to-date?

https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus

Can you install any packages with pacman?

I believe my mirrors are up to date. I had problems with 2010.05 and I couldn't install any packages because xz got uninstalled, so someone in the IRC told me to download the latest iso from http://releng.archlinux.org/isos/2011.02.17/ so I did.

I can install some packages, but others I can't. Also it seems like some packages are able to be fixed by just trying to install them again and they just magically download correctly. Other packages are just always corrupted no matter what i do.

It's been happening with a lot of packages, but some I've been able to finally get to work by trying to redownload/install them again. But right now I'm stuck with qt, kdelibs, smbclient, gtk2, oxygen-themes, and kde-workspace. I've tried a bunch of different mirrors, and I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all of the US ones, but they still always end up being corrupted.

Allan wrote:

What? I just run pacman, it downloads everything, then it says that some packages are corrupted and asks me if I want to delete them. Then pacman quits and nothing happens. I'm not sure what you mean by making a symlink for liblzma.

#5 2011-02-18 01:18:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

krej wrote:
Allan wrote:

What? I just run pacman, it downloads everything, then it says that some packages are corrupted and asks me if I want to delete them. Then pacman quits and nothing happens. I'm not sure what you mean by making a symlink for liblzma.

Please learn to practice pro-active solving. When you don't understand a response, google it first, try to understand.

Answering 'what? I just did so-and-so' doesn't help anyone, least of all yourself.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-02-18 01:31:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

krej wrote:
Allan wrote:

Post the output of "ls -l /usr/lib/liblzma*"

#7 2011-02-18 03:48:50

krej

ngoonee wrote:

Please learn to practice pro-active solving. When you don't understand a response, google it first, try to understand.

Answering 'what? I just did so-and-so' doesn't help anyone, least of all yourself.

Sorry, I googled his answer and it didn't really seem like it was related, so it sort of seemed like he may have posted in the wrong topic or something. Also I think I may have misread his post and that was probably why I was a little confused.

Allan wrote:

Post the output of "ls -l /usr/lib/liblzma*"

This is what that outputs:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 267946 Jan 29 11:41 /usr/lib/liblzma.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jan 29 11:41 /usr/lib/liblzma.so -> liblzma.so.5.0.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jan 29 11:41 /usr/lib/liblzma.so.5 -> liblzma.so.5.0.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 139032 Jan 29 11:41 /usr/lib/liblzma.so.5.0.1

I don't get any missing library errors, all I get is pacman saying packages are corrupt(and all I did was do a fresh install of Arch and try to install some stuff). I haven't made any symlinks for liblzma or anything.

#8 2011-02-18 08:47:35

loafer

After changing the mirrors did you refresh (pacman -Syyu)?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#9 2011-02-18 22:14:30

krej

loafer wrote:

After changing the mirrors did you refresh (pacman -Syyu)?

Yeah, I have been doing that.

It's really weird because sometimes packages download corrupted, and other times they don't. I just now finally got KDE installed after redownloading the corrupted packages a ton of times.

#10 2011-02-18 22:42:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

hmmm....  this still sounds like a liblzma issue...

what does "locate liblzma" give?   (you may need to install mlocate and run "updatedb").

Also, can you check the md5sum of a corrupt and non-corrupt version of a package?

#11 2011-02-20 02:35:11

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Wild shot: Are you using btrfs with compression turned on?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer