You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-18 06:17:30

Captain Dunce

Can't boot into backup system created by rsync

About a month ago I used the instructions on the Arch Wiki to do a full system backup using rsync.  I was able to boot from the backup harddrive without problems.  Since then I have upgraded quite a few packages through pacman and I did not keep a list.  A few days ago I repartitioned my backup harddrive and then made a fresh system backup with rsync and the script from the Arch Wiki(rbackup.sh).  However, now I cannot get the backup to fully boot.  Everything goes fine until an attempt is made to mount the root file system where I then get the error that the device doesn't exist and "cannot access tty: job control turned off".  After making sure that my fstab and grub entries were kosher I tried again and again to no avail.  Now what puzzles me is that a month ago the procedure outlined on the Arch WIki worked beautifully and now there is a glitch to which I can't discern the cause.  I also tried using Mondorescue but that too produces an error message when I try to boot from the rescue cd "cannot access tty: job control turned off".  I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this but have come up empty so far.

I have triple and quadruple checked my config files and everything seems ok.  The backup programs do not produce an error message.  Is it possible that re-partitioning the drive is the cause?  The drive(a WD 1TB Green) had one existing Win7 partition and I used cfdisk/mkfs to repartition for a more efficient use of space.  I'm out of good ideas any help towards a solution would be appreciated.

Last edited by Captain Dunce (2011-02-18 07:40:18)

#2 2011-02-18 16:14:28

steve___

Re: Can't boot into backup system created by rsync

I ran into a similar problem involving udev.  Did you rsync these files:
/dev/console
/dev/initctl
/dev/null
/dev/zero

#3 2011-02-18 16:34:00

Captain Dunce

Re: Can't boot into backup system created by rsync

Yeah, I made an include/exclude list per the instructions I found on the Wiki.

This is my list: 

# Include
+ /dev/console
+ /dev/initctl
+ /dev/null
+ /dev/zero

# Exclude
- /dev/*
- /proc/*
- /sys/*
- /tmp/*
- *lost+found